Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

"Love like you have never been hurt."

(19 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 13-Jul-09 21:03:12

I read this quote at the weekend and thought it was interesting and thought it might start off a good and thought-provoking discussion.

FenellaFudge Mon 13-Jul-09 21:11:10

It's smaltzy, mulchy pap.

I get the meaning, but it's just so silly. And I tried to dance like no-one was watching but it just made people look all the more!

Unlikelyamazonian Mon 13-Jul-09 21:14:22

If the biscuit base is too sludgy the banoffi pie will be poor. (old greek saying)

SolidGoldBrass Mon 13-Jul-09 21:15:06

Hmm. Trouble is with quotes like that is they are often believed by people who go from one appalling relationship to another because they are obsessed with romantic love to the extent that they never engage their brains when choosing a new partner (if his last three wives have all taken out restraining orders, then you 'being open enough to love him enough ' or some other new age bollocks is not going to make any difference. He will sooner or later come at you with a kitchen knife.)

FenellaFudge Mon 13-Jul-09 21:15:42

Oh. I clicked cancel straight after i pressed post cos I thought maybe it was a bit mean and not in the spirit of your thread...but it posted anyway.
Feel free to ignore.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 13-Jul-09 21:16:09

just trying to have a chat

nothing more

tennisaddict Mon 13-Jul-09 21:18:29

I totally disagree with that saying

Engage brain, before heart, I say

It would solve a lot of angst, that is for sure

Hark at me, don't take my own advice grin

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 13-Jul-09 21:20:53

I dont think you can ever love like you have never been hurt, unless its the first time. Because love is difficult, you grow up thinking its going to be amazing, and soul consuming, and just like the movies, except it can hurt, and your heart can feel like its breaking. So, the next time, you're a little more guarded, and (ime) a bit better for it.

Unlikelyamazonian Mon 13-Jul-09 21:21:45

if you do that 'loving no hurt' thing you will get hit with a sledgehammer by some weirdo and all your banoffi pies will turn to shite. Better a good pie than some wanky old saying that is meaningless when the elec bill is sky bloody high and there are no loo rolls in the top bathroom.

hmm

I am 94

expatinscotland Mon 13-Jul-09 21:25:28

Oh, yes, I thought this quote was great! When I was 22.

So now I am firmly in the SGB interpretation camp.

I can't afford to love like I'd never been hurt. It'd be a waste and I can't afford it at this time in my life, and not just in monetary terms.

shoppingmad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:28:23

I love the romantic idea of that but bloody hell its hard!!
Anyone watching that crocodile thing?

Flynnie Mon 13-Jul-09 21:28:54

To love as if you have never been hurt is a bit like saying, don't learn from your mistakes.

expatinscotland Mon 13-Jul-09 21:33:03

Yes, Flynnie, which is pretty damn hurtful, immature and stupid when you've got children to consider.

HappyWoman Mon 13-Jul-09 21:33:22

learn to love yourself more each day.
Dont think i could ever love like i have never been hurt - and surely my brain would call me a bloody idiot if i ever did get hurt again.
I want to learn from my mistakes too.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 13-Jul-09 21:35:34

I disagree Flynnie.

I see it as give the next guy a chance. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

dittany Mon 13-Jul-09 21:41:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FenellaFudge Mon 13-Jul-09 21:44:14

I think it's the kind of trite claptrap that you hear from freshfaced 6th formers who know everything about everything and think they'll never be like their parents.
Before they realise it's just life as it's supposed to be.

Flynnie Mon 13-Jul-09 21:49:36

It would also be pretty darn hard to love and not be influenced by previous experiences be they good or bad.

See it is turning out to be a thought-provoking discussion FabBakerGirlwink

ABetaDad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:59:51

The full quote I found on the internet says:

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

[Mark Twain]

Well I agree with that. I just think, I wil ly get one life and I may as well enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now