Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

At what age did you stop calling your DF 'daddy'?

(51 Posts)
MsUndastood Tue 07-Jul-09 21:04:56

Just curious because I have just seen my friend FB status going on about 'daddy' then I realised I still call my DF daddy too, in a fond way, I am 22

So how old are you if you still do and if not how old were you when you stopped?

ineedalifelaundry Tue 07-Jul-09 22:42:33

Stopped aged around 7 or 8 I think!

Dysgu Tue 07-Jul-09 23:30:23

I am 36 and still call him daddy sometimes. Sometimes I call him dad and other times I call him by a nickname based on his real name!

Same with my mum/mummy/nickname there too!

WinkyWinkola Tue 07-Jul-09 23:31:23

I never called them mummy or daddy. Something to do with having four older brothers I suppose.

It makes me curdle inside a bit to hear DH call his parents mummy and daddy.

Disenchanted3 Tue 07-Jul-09 23:31:25

I'm 24 and call him Daddy.

harleyd Tue 07-Jul-09 23:31:58

im 34 and i still do when im looking a favour

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 23:37:04

About 6!

I think it's quite upper-class and "boaty set" to still call your father Daddy as an adult.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 07-Jul-09 23:39:05

I still call my Dad 'Daddy' most of the time.

Sazisi Tue 07-Jul-09 23:42:32

I call my dad by his name, and always have. I think it's because he's my (older) brother's step father and I just copied him.
I do think it's a bit hmm when a grown woman says daddy or mummy <<judgeypants>>

cory Tue 07-Jul-09 23:48:31

I am foreign but would never call my parents by their names, though the word I do use doesn't have to upper class helpless Daddy's girlie ring of 'Daddy'

I would probably expect dcs to say Mum and Dad when they're grown up; that's what dh says/said to his parents

edam Tue 07-Jul-09 23:59:00

Still do, and I'm <cough> ever so slightly older than Dysgu (great name, btw). He'd be happy with Dad but my mother has always insisted on Mummy and my brain can't cope with shortening Dad if she's long.

(I do call them my mother and father if I'm talking about them though, only use Mummy and Daddy if addressing them directly.)

edam Tue 07-Jul-09 23:59:48

(And there's nowt helpless about me - fat chance of much help coming from that quarter anyway, tbh.)

Tinker Wed 08-Jul-09 00:04:18

I keep reading thread title as Dear Fiance.

Don't think I ever called him Daddy as a grown up but I did when he died

StirlingTheStrong Wed 08-Jul-09 00:06:15

Stopped when he died when I was 16 sad

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 08-Jul-09 00:07:36

49 here and still call him Daddy! That's his name, to me!

shelleylou Wed 08-Jul-09 00:23:53

Cant remember when i stopped calling my dad daddy, although when i want help its daaaaaaaaaaad <cute you cant say no to me style>

MamaLazarou Wed 08-Jul-09 09:21:00

About 6 or 7, I think. I don't call the smelly old git anything these days.

I do, however, still call my mum 'Mummy' sometimes.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Wed 08-Jul-09 09:23:10

Message withdrawn

TrillianAstra Wed 08-Jul-09 09:28:06

Don't remember ever calling him Daddy, so must have been quite young.

<barf> at all you grownups doing it

Maybe with a slight envy of people who are 'Daddy's girls' because I never had that kind of relationship. But I bet some of you would be on AIBU pretty quick if your DH called your MIL 'Mummy'.

trefusis Wed 08-Jul-09 09:28:43

Message withdrawn

melmog Wed 08-Jul-09 09:40:10

I always write Daddy in cards, but stopped calling him that when I was prob 7/8? He is also Daaaaaaad when I want something!

Mum is just Mum though, whole other story.

chevre Wed 08-Jul-09 09:47:11

my daddy still refers to his mummy and daddy. [trumping emoticon]

YanknCock Wed 08-Jul-09 10:23:37

I was definitely a 'daddy's girl', but like Trillian, I can't ever remember calling him 'Daddy'. I must have stopped early on, maybe age 6 or 7?

The only evidence I have that he was ever called 'Daddy' is a picture of me aged 3 with a t-shirt that says 'I'm for Daddy's Team' (he played and coached on a few different baseball teams).

Fimbo Wed 08-Jul-09 10:26:19

Probably about 9 or 10. My dd is 11 and has stopped calling us mummy or daddy for about a year, especially in front of her friends as it is just not cool. Ds (5) is starting to copy, dh is a bit miffed.

Chandra Wed 08-Jul-09 10:27:43

I think I never called him Daddy, it was dad all the time. I still call my mum mummy, but only when she is upset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now