Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can someone give me advice/opinions on maintenance payments/child benefit please

(6 Posts)
ilovetrees Wed 01-Jul-09 18:22:04

I am going through a pretty horrible divorce at the moment - good to get away from a highly abusive man though. However, he's making everything hell and I would appreciate some advice or opinions on this.

Basically, my xh pays me standard rate maintenance payments as laid down by the CSA. This is fine. He has ds a fair amount (about 40% of the time but cancels now and again). Therefore, the amount of maintenance he pays is lower as it is based on the fact that he has ds 40% of the time. If he had him less, he would pay me more if you see what I mean.

I buy absolutely everything for ds by the way.

Now, to put the boot in as normal, he wants me to give him half of the Child Benefit on a private basis.

If he wants to make a claim on child benefit, he needs to contact the child benefit and make a claim, which he is free to do.

Obviously, in his own words, he "incurs expenses looking after his son" and this is why he wants half the child benefit.

I haven't heard of this before but am totally confused as to whether he has a point or not.

I would love some advice/opinions whether they be in favour or against. Many thanks.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Jul-09 18:25:39

Message withdrawn

ilovetrees Wed 01-Jul-09 18:54:47

Thanks SGM, will post it on the lone parent bit.

katiepea Fri 03-Jul-09 21:52:06

The main carer gets the child benefit, Stewiegriffinsmom is right! Keep hold of your Child Benefit! He wants you to do it on a "private basis" because he knows he wouldn't get it if he made an actual claim.

Spero Fri 03-Jul-09 22:48:52

I'm pretty sure only one parent can claim CB as katiepea says. I don't think he has a point at all. His CS payments are reduced to take into account the time he spends with his child. He is just being an arse.

Be polite but be quite clear that you are not getting into a discussion about CB and he can contact them directly if he wants.

Kazzi79 Sat 04-Jul-09 03:18:01

Child benefit is paid to the parent the child normally lives with (eg the parent who they live with most of the time)and is paid to that parent only (unless of course circumstances change and the child goes to live with the other parent)

Sounds to me as though he's using it as a form of mental abuse, tell him to go ahead and apply, he's highly unlikely to get anywhere!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: