Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

i need to leave my boyfriend

(5 Posts)
sammyclair Wed 01-Jul-09 12:20:15

Hi, I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years and have 2 children, age 5 and 7. The problem is he drinks too much and it's starting to affect the children. He is nasty and abusive (though not violent just verbal) after drinking. I am right at the end of my tether and just think me and the kids would be happier without him. The problem is I have no money and the house belongs to my boyfriend. I know he won't help me financially, this is another problem we have, he thinks he has kept me for the last 10 years (or at least since I had the children) and makes me feel like I should be grateful.
Any advice would be appreciated.

woodlands35 Wed 01-Jul-09 12:43:49

hi sammy , sorry i agree that maybe you should leave him , he might not be physically violent YET but he is abusive .
you have to put yourself & the children first, if any1 should be grateful its him because you have put up with him for 10 years , do you have any where you could stay with the children for a few weeks like your parents or a close friend ? hope everything goes OK for you & dc's ,

Alambil Wed 01-Jul-09 12:45:20

0808 2000 247 - national dv helpline will know all your rights and all the regulations... or call Shelter but I'm afraid I don't know their number

It's good you're thinking of leaving; it will be difficult, but you will feel so much better after it's all sorted

ginnny Wed 01-Jul-09 12:46:26

Go to the CAB and find out what your options are. He will have to support you financially and I'm sure you would have some claim on the house as you have been together for so long.
Another good idea is to go to al anon. It is an organisation for the families / friends of alcoholics and they will help you to deal with his drinking.

bethoo Wed 01-Jul-09 12:46:44

you could apply for a council house and if you explain the situation about an abusive exp they can put you into a 'safe' house.
you must get out as soon as you can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: