Its quite a way to travel because we're doing it where we grew up rather than where we live. I invited 70 people who all said yes, but its in 2 months time and suddenly everyone is pulling out and we only have 34 people coming now. Should I cancel it? I'm not looking forward to it now and its making me cry all the time.
At the end of the day you can't force people to come to a wedding IMO. If they really want to then they will but it's up to people if they want to say no and they don't really have to give a reason - do they?
However I can understand it's a pain if they verbally said they would and then sent back RSVPs saying no. At least you know they aren't coming and you can ajust the catering etc accordingly now that the RSVPs have come back.
its a 200 mile drive and they need accomodation - they're all saying the same thing : that as its in a tourist resort and its the August bank holiday they are having trouble finding suitable accomodation. I've tried to help but the problem seems to be that they hadn't thought about how much it would cost and the fact that most hotels want a 3 night stay over a bank holiday.
I've really messed up I now realise, making them drive there rather than our families drive here. Should I rearange everything to do it here? or is that just desperate and needy. I suddenly feel like I have acquiantances rather than friends.
The same happened with me (many, many moons ago!). I think that people suddenly get round to looking at the map and realise just what a commitment they've 'made'. If you were getting married in a Tuscan vineyard they would somehow find the time, the swines.
Don't cancel. They day is about you and your DP. I had a fabulous time with those who DID make the effort.
slarty : thats what they have said - they want to organise it for me in fact, but that wasn't really the day I had planned. I feel like they got together and decided not to come to my wedding - its my five local friends, thier husbands and children who aren't coming - I feel like they all sat down and decided I wasnt worth all the hassle. These people are supposed to be my mates.
Of course don't cancel it! You can have a party with these people at the place where you live at a later date. Maybe you should have considered the implications of it being a bank holiday weekend, but they should have been looking into it too before they said yes.
On the plus side think of the money you'll save not having to pay for meals for all those people! That'll more than cover a wedding celebration party back at home after the honeymoon (and you can wear your dress agin!).
Well if they are struggling to find (presumably not cheap) 3 day accomodation in a holiday location over a bank holiday I'm not surprised many of them can't come! It's not an excuse, it's a genuine reason.
I would never expect 70 people to afford 3 nights in a hotel on my behalf. It's a bit Bridezilla. Sorry.
You have two options: Either enjoy the wedding with the 34 people who are coming, and don't resent that most people couldn't make it, or relocate the wedding closer to home if you have your heart set on the big bash.
Huff - I realise that. As I say I've messed up, but when I started planning this I asked them at the time if they would still come and they said yes. Its only now that they've pulled out - for months they've been saying they'll come.
Sorry, cross posts - at least they have a valid reason. I don't think that you should take this too personally.
Everyone has different levels of commitment to weddings. If a close relative got married I would feel that I would have to pay whatever it cost to be there, but with friends I might feel less obliged unless I had an official role. Perhaps you could make them all bridesmaids?
I think that organising a post-honeymoon party where you live would be a good solution, but make them pay for their own drinks to punish them for being disorganised!
I'm sorry that you're upset but I have to agree with some of the other posters. A verbal acceptance to drive 200 miles is different to suddenly realising that you can't get accommodation there -at least not for less than 3 nights.
I don't think they've "got together and decided you weren't worth the hassle". I think they've realised that they can't practically do it and have tried to come up with a lovely alternative.
I'd go ahead with the wedding - can you even cancel anyway at this short notice? - you'll have a lovely day AND another party to look forward to at a later date.
Huff - 2 weeks before DH's cousins wedding recently we said we'd be there. Unfortunately we couldn't make it as we realised that we couldn't afford to get then when it had previously looked we would have done.
I have to say that if someone said to me 'we'll be getting married August bank holiday weekend, will you come' I'd instantly say yes, and not look at hotel prices / conditions at the time.
If I then realised I'd need to spend 3 nights there, and presumably spend quite a bit, perhaps meaning that as a family we wouldn't be able to have a holiday etc, I would cancel. Plus of course the problem of the children in the evening etc when not local.
And I expect that rather than getting together to decide not to come, they phoned each other to see if anyone could find somewhere that was cheaper to stay, and when they realised they couldn't came up with the party plan
When you are in the thick of planning your wedding these things happen.....belive me in the future you'll be on the other side, there will be a reason eg no children invited, no partners, abroad.......you must not take it personally. Have another party with them. after all you'll miss all the planning and excitment when the day is over