Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is emotional support necessary??

(2 Posts)
happydaisy Mon 29-Jun-09 10:05:58

OK - I've had a crap weekend with dh. Spent Sat night arguing with him (trying to talk but always ends in him going on the defensive). I've posted a couple of times on here and had some good advice. But...

I don't get any comfort from dh and all i seem to get is arguments (he is very argumentative and unreasonable with dcs as well). he never agrees with me on anything. what i think is missing is emotional support but i'm not really sure what i should expect in a relationship - AIBU? He is known for being an "individual" and i just think his arguments with me are all to do with him trying to assert himself all the time. i'm not a shrinking violet but i don't see its my job in life to make him wear what i want him to wear or share my opinions. i have though tried to consider his feelings, even going back to work full time so that he could get away from a really bad work situation. if he has become reliant on me, why does he keep arguing with me.

i really feel like i need more emotional support/love/care/attention - but i don't really know what it is reasonable to expect. I'd be really, really, grateful for any ideas - i don't know what to do next....

Alambil Mon 29-Jun-09 12:37:31

Have just spotted your thread in AIBU where you say you don't want him saying stuff around the kids (from what I could gather)

I just wonder if he is now afraid almost of saying something wrong, so rather says nothing?

You can't have the support and love/care/attention without the nice compliments, shows of affection and other things IMO

maybe he just doesn't know what you want exactly, so is hedging his bets with doing nothing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now