Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DP acting odd soon after moving in

(18 Posts)
AllAboutTheGame Tue 23-Jun-09 11:34:09

A few months ago, my partner of 14 months moved in with me and my DD. He brought with him his two children.

Everything has been going fine as far as the kids are concerned and me and DP have not fallen out or anything yet but his behaviour seems to be getting stranger as the weeks go by.

When he moved in he brought with him four guinea pigs. He then bought another two after he moved. I didn't mind as four of them are kept outside anyway but on a night, he lets the indoor ones out of their cage and they have the full run of the downstairs. He says they need the exercise but they go nuts, running around the living room, behind the sofa, darting into the kitchen, running behind the TV where all the wires are etc ... DP just sits there pissing himself laughing but the carpet stinks of wee and poo. Another thing is that he uses ALL the salad from the fridge everynight to make them 'suppers'. The other night I went to bed before him and in the morning I came down and there was guinea pig poo ALL OVER the living room floor and bits of chewed lettuce and carrots scattered everywhere.

Then we had an incident at the weekend where I walked into the bathroom to find toilet roll all over the floor and the actual roll had a massive chunk just ripped out of the side of it.

I asked DP who'd done it, assuming it to be one of the kids and he just kept laughing and saying he didn't know who would do that. Later on that night, I went into the bathroom to find the sink overflowing with water and the floor sopping wet through. Someone had put toilet roll down the plug hole but what annoyed me the most is that DP was the last person in there. So, even if it wasn't him that did it, he must have surely seen it and not said anything.

He was then laughing about it all night.

He is great in other ways but as this sillyness gets more extreme I'm wondering how far it is going to go. We're short of money as it is without having to pay for repairs etc.

Why would he act like this? do you think he's regretting moving in and is trying to cause some hassle between us?

I am a regular with a namechange btw. Greggs sausage rolls, bats, cod etc etc so no troll accusations please.

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Jun-09 12:06:37

I think there's two separate sets of issues here -

1. Pets - well, people can be very odd about their pets, and treat them better than they do people. But you have to decide on the ground rules, and frankly there is no way you can train guinea pigs not to wee and poo everywhere. So, I'd say it's just not acceptable to let them run round doing that everywhere. They should have a secure run in the garden for exercise.

2. Deliberately causing damage by practical jokes would personally have me packing his bags for him. I assume he didn't do anything to fix the problem, just laughed like it was a joke that you had to unblock the sink and mop up the mess? Assuming he's not 12, that's seriously immature behaviour.

Did he have this sort of sense of humour all the time? I think he's probably just an immature person tbbh, and you should have a serious talk with him about this stuff and say it simply has to stop.

thesilverlining Tue 23-Jun-09 12:17:10

That would drive me insane!

SOunds like he made a real effort to be "Normal" before - now hes moved in maybe you are seeing the real slightly immature him?....

Just a thought

hullygully Tue 23-Jun-09 12:19:01

I'm not accusing you of being a troll, but this CAN'T be true. If it is, call the men in white coats asap.

citronella Tue 23-Jun-09 12:19:33

And you say you haven't had any fallings out yet?

Apart from having a bizarre sense of humour, he is out of order.

ridingjoker Tue 23-Jun-09 12:43:04

he moved into your house. as far as he sees its probably your stuff and not his, so he's not giving a toot hoot about damaging it.

would be different if he'd actually been the one who paid for that carpet,

and i'm curious did he pay to repair sink or fix it himself.

i have to be honest. this is kicking out material for me. someone who shows this much disrespect in their own home is also disrespecting you.

burningupinspeed Tue 23-Jun-09 12:45:27

I find it hard to believe that your DP lets his pets shit all over the floor, he blocks the sink with toilet roll, and you actually haven't fallen out yet?

Fuck him off, he sounds a loser.

skidoodle Tue 23-Jun-09 12:53:19

Is this one of those threads where it turns out to be from a book or tv programme?

This sounds so bizarre.

What gas he said about the bathroom incidents? I presume you've demanded an explanation.

If someone expected my children to live in a house covered in animal shit I would not want them in my home.

SolidGoldBrass Tue 23-Jun-09 13:08:16

I think it's that film where the adult bloke and the 8 year old boy change bodies or something.

Hawkmoth Tue 23-Jun-09 16:45:47

Lettuce is really bad for guinea-pigs.

Hassled Tue 23-Jun-09 16:49:58

Maybe he thinks the guinea pigs are controlling him. Maybe they are.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 23-Jun-09 16:51:47

Bloody hell. Is he a nutter? Seriously, if you can't get through to him I'd think carefully about continuing this relationship.

Jumente Tue 23-Jun-09 16:54:11

He is a freak, get an injunction.

clam Tue 23-Jun-09 18:32:17

shock
hmm

Get.Rid.

BottySpottom Tue 23-Jun-09 18:37:21

LOL @ 'Lettuce is really bad for guinea-pigs'.

Sorry blush.

If this is at the beginning of a relationship, I would move him out pretty quickly. How long did you know him before he moved in?

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 23-Jun-09 19:13:27

Message withdrawn

modrin Tue 23-Jun-09 19:25:22

maybe the evil Guinea pigs put the toilet roll in the sink

jalopy Tue 23-Jun-09 20:30:27

AllAboutTheGame - you've got such a distinctive style. The inane laughing gave it away.

Yawn.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now