Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To witness a really close friend having a 'fit' due to alcohol dependency. HELP

(47 Posts)
Monty100 Sun 21-Jun-09 23:49:16

I've been trying to support a really special friend who has a problem with alcohol. I've had the lieing the usual, butI witnessed her having a fit earlier. She has had several recently and has been hospitalised. She is now on my sofa asleep, her children are with her lovely sister (they saw it at the time and have seen it before, I hadn't).

I wanted to take her to casualty and she wouldn't go.

I'm so distraught I can hardly even articulate but I think there might be some people who will tell me what to do.

llareggub Sun 21-Jun-09 23:53:39

Seek medical advice. She needs to detox under supervision. Fits can be fatal.

Call NHS Direct now.

llareggub Sun 21-Jun-09 23:54:29

sorry for blunt post.

Baby has colic, crying.

You are a good friend to do this for her.

Doodle2u Sun 21-Jun-09 23:57:46

Call NHS - drink & fits are a baaaad combination. Just ring them now and explain.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:02:47

LL Thank you for your post. I've been on al alnon and everything I'm ending up asking people for support! I love her so much and I can't believe how physically ill she is, her eyes are yellow!

Gawd, I feel like she's going to have chronic chirrossis or something, she puked up a while ago. (black)

Sorry, bugger, may I call you that? And I apologise for bothering people, hope baby's colic has calmed down.

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:06:40

She needs medical attention. I've been there. DH is a recovering alcoholic and has been sober for 2 years. Has she tried to go cold turkey?

wrinklytum Mon 22-Jun-09 00:08:25

Please seek help for your friend x

cathcat Mon 22-Jun-09 00:10:05

When you say she vomitted and it was black was it coffee grains vomit?
I am no expert but I think this is very dangerous and you should consider phoning an ambulance now. At the least phone NHS24 and see what they advise.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:10:46

Doodle, thanks I'm so scared but she won't let me do anything anyway. I can't go to bed she's on my sofa and I just keep checking her. She has water, I saw her at midday and then we went to dinner at her sister's she has had no alcohol that I know of today. But she's in a bad way. She would NOT got to hospital when she fitted and her 11 yr old dd was begging her to go and later i tried again and she won't take any medical treatment.

wrinklytum Mon 22-Jun-09 00:13:32

Please dial 999.If she has fitted this is serious.She may not agree but I think that you should.The nhs can offer psycholgical support and detox programmes.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:13:41

Gawd thanks everyone. I wanted to phone an ambulance when she fitted. She wouldn't have it so she is on my sofa, then after that she was sick and I'm watching her. One move and I'm 999 whether she likes it or not.
Does that sound right?

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:15:35

I agree. Call an ambulance. This is very serious. If she won't go to hospital voluntarily she may need sectioning.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Jun-09 00:15:37

No do it anyway. Do it now.

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:16:37

Don't wait, do it now. I know you want to do what she wants but at the moment you need to act quickly. Fitting can be fatal.

wrinklytum Mon 22-Jun-09 00:19:22

Yes.

Black vomit is not good.

PLEASE seek help for her.She may rant and rave and call you names from pig to dog and worse,but if she is vomiting and fitting she needs urgent help.

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:20:56

She will thank you for calling for help one day, I promise.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:25:50

It was about 8pm when she fitted, I've been watching her like a hawk I'm just really scared, I've just been in to see her again and she seems absolutely fine.

Believe me I think she should be in hospital but she is not having it. And I'm no softie but she won the argument so I'm just waiting for another sign.

I've just been in to see her again and she seems fine. sad wish I'd done it at the time but she wouldn't have it.

She has had no alcohol the whole time. Would that be why she's fitting?

cathcat Mon 22-Jun-09 00:30:23

alcohol withdrawal info here

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:31:01

Yes. It is really dangerous to go cold turkey. The only way to do it safely is to decrease alcohol intake slowly. When DH did it we got advice from the GP, managed his alcohol intake and gave him plenty of sugary stuff to maintain blood sugar. He also had medication.

wrinklytum Mon 22-Jun-09 00:33:55

Black vomit is usually an indication of "OLD BLOOD" somewhere in her gastro-inntestinal tract.It is probably the alcohol he had earlier that has caused fits.alcoholics are the worlds greatest manipulators (I have an alcoholic bil)She needs help and will deny it.All you can do is seek help...the rest is up to her.But fits and old bleeds are not a good sign

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:38:28

Been in again, she's snoring. A welcome sound for once in my life. I'm still afraid to leave her. But I think she's ok now do you? What is the black sick? She wasn't drinking the whole time that I was with her.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:39:46

Sorry wrinkly cross post. She's not a well person. i'm devastated.

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:40:59

When she is reasdy to quit the AA will help.

Monty100 Mon 22-Jun-09 00:46:26

She is such a great woman. I adore her two dcs. She must be so down the line. I posted several months ago about her on the addicts thread and did my research on al anon and stuff and drew the conclusion that she needed to hit rock bottom. I thought she already had at the time but obv not. She seems to not care about anything. Her dcs are beautiful little people and coping with her in their own way. It's tragic. But she seems to be on some suicide mission.

llareggub Mon 22-Jun-09 00:50:27

I'e got to go to bed now. Baby calm at last.

Good luck, I hope she stays stable. Please call nhsdirect though. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now