Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Baby rolled off Change Table......

(15 Posts)
Robeena Sat 20-Jun-09 21:38:51

I cannot believe after 3 children that I turned my back for one second to get a new nappy and my DD 8mths rolled of the change table and fell onto the floor - she was lying there face first.

I have never herad her scream so much - god it was heartbreaking - I managed to calm her down and she had a bottle and went to sleep.

But now I am wondering if maybe I should have taken her to hospital - maybe she has broken something? Maybe I shouldn't have let her go to sleep in case she has a concussion?

Oh god now I feel sick.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 21:40:07

Oh dear - they are quite high. If it was me I would go to A & E, but I am a 'better safe than sorry' person. I think you need to check out for vomitting, very sleepy...

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 21:40:21

I'd take her to the hospital. I've seen a few babies with fractures after doing this. How high was it? What do you have covering the floor?

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 21:40:48

Maybe try and wake in abit? When did she go to sleep?

Marthasmama Sat 20-Jun-09 21:43:06

I think I would have at least called NHS direct after a fall from that height or more likely have gone to A&E. They're so wiggly at that age aren't they? DS broke his thumb at 9 months and apart from the fact he was covered in blood, you would never have known he had hurt himself.

Robeena Sat 20-Jun-09 21:43:46

She went to sleep just before 6.30pm.

I might just go up and check on her now.

The change table is maybe 3 foot from the floor which is carpeted.

God I didn't even think about vomitting in her sleep.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 21:46:01

That's quite high. I really would take her to A&E, just so they can check her over. This happens alot, I triaged a baby that had rolled off the sofa, dad was more upset then the baby, I was almost crying just talking to him.

Robeena Sat 20-Jun-09 21:52:33

Okay I have just popped in and she woke up when I went in.

She was asleep facing the wall and she rolled over on to her her tummy to look at me.

That's a good sign, right?

FrannyandZooey Sat 20-Jun-09 21:58:19

when ds2 rolled off the sofa i was told that it is in theory ok if they fall from less than their height
by this logic it is perhaps not ok if they fall from more than their height?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 21:59:12

It is a good sign yes but I wouldn't just leave it though. It's really easy for a baby to fracture it's skull by falling off a changer so you do need to get her checked. It's good that she's alert and feeding though. For peace of mind it should be checked by a doctor.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 22:03:42

I really would go to A & E... she must have got a full whack in the stomach, I'd be worried about fractured ribs or something. It will prob. be OK but you will feel more at ease once she is checked over.

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 20-Jun-09 22:16:23

Message withdrawn

sayithowitis Sun 21-Jun-09 00:55:00

Please take your baby to A&E. MDS" did this at about the same age and had no apparent signs of anything other than screaming in shock. I calmed him down and took him to A&E. Long story short, despite x-rays and saying it was ok, a few days later I had an urgent call to take him back as radiographer had rechecked the x ray and noticed a hairline fracture. I was told he needed major quantity of antibiotics because fractures can , rarely, lead to meningitis. Thankfully my DS was fine and I hope yours will be too, but you absolutely MUST get her checked. Today, not tomorrow!

sayithowitis Sun 21-Jun-09 00:56:17

sorry, meant to say,hairline fracture of skull.

BottySpottom Mon 22-Jun-09 20:33:00

What happened OP, is she OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now