Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you handle a one sided argument

(9 Posts)
TriWizardTournament Thu 11-Jun-09 09:10:11

This is just a quickie really to see if there's a definite protocol.

Say I have fallen out with someone, and am fairly cross with them and would like them to apologise before I can resume normal relations.

But despite having put this to them in a reasoned manner, am getting no response whatsoever.

Am I correct to abandon the idea of continued good relations and just avoid seeing that person as much as possible?

Or would it be better to continue to hope for a peaceful resolution when such appears not to be forthcoming?

I am guessing it would not be pertinent to raise the point again. It makes me sad as I don't like to fall out with people but I don't think I can make them step up and have it out.

TIA.

bubblagirl Thu 11-Jun-09 09:18:40

if its something that has happened and been forgotten then it best not to bring up subject as it will only ever cause badness between 2 people again things should be sorted out as they happen or forgotten about and moved on

i have no idea what the problem is so it is bit hard to give advise

junglist1 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:19:52

If you've made it clear you think an apology is needed, and they haven't bothered, maybe they think you're in the wrong. Who is the person? How serious is the falling out?

Swedes Thu 11-Jun-09 09:22:45

An apology is worthless if it has been forced out of someone. You seem very insistent that they are in the wrong and you are in the right - is it possible that the other person sees things differently?

TriWizardTournament Thu 11-Jun-09 09:24:13

It's not serious, just a casual friend I thought liked me and I had a lot of respect for - they said something about me, which wasn't true, and now I find I don't have that respect for them any more. I want it back but I think I have to accept that they don't think as highly of me as I did of them.

I can manage without them, it's not like a partner or someone as close as that.

TriWizardTournament Thu 11-Jun-09 09:25:28

no Swedes it was a straightforward accusation but was misplaced - I think they made a genuine mistake, but now won't even speak to me which leads me to think they just don't like me at all and were waiting for a 'reason' iygwim.

TriWizardTournament Thu 11-Jun-09 09:26:36

It's pretty clear actually - I think I will just have to write it off.

Thanks x

junglist1 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:36:34

That person sounds like a waste of time. If someone has said something about you they can't be trusted anyway, apology or not. My ex friends partner told me she'd been slagging me off while they were arguing one day, the way she reacted made me believe him and I didn't bother again, despite apologies which only occured because she was caught out. The cow.

TriWizardTournament Thu 11-Jun-09 09:45:59

Thanks Junglist, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry you went through such a betrayal, I think you did the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now