Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Family BBQ

(6 Posts)
bettybets Wed 10-Jun-09 16:53:57

My DP is 30 next month, he wants a family BBQ, my parents are keen to meet his family as our baby is due in 10 weeks time.

However i'm now panicing, because some of my DP family are a little "ruff".

I just want everyone to get on, i dont want my family leaving disapproving of my DP family.

Dont want to insult my DP by saying 'lets not invite your sister to this one'

Any advice?

OhBling Wed 10-Jun-09 16:58:42

If you're close to your family, tell them in advance about DP's family. But overall, them liking each other is their issue and not yours - easier to say than to do, I know.

slushy06 Wed 10-Jun-09 17:20:07

My family don't like dp family as they think they treat me disrespectfully however they keep quiet because they know it is important to me and they would not want to make things more difficult that they already are and that I only see them once a week. But warn them before the bbq.

bigchris Wed 10-Jun-09 17:21:32

I think you are worrying too much
I also don't think you sound very nice!!
what would your poor dp think if he knew how you elt about his family?

lilacclaire Wed 10-Jun-09 17:30:27

Your family will have mixed with all different types of people as you have.
I'm guessing that your dp's family isn't that rough otherwise he would be as well.
I think you should just relax, your family are grown ups and unless your dp's family are completely feral then I think your family will just about be able to cope.

I presume its the nerves of the first meeting and hoping everything will go alright thats making you panic.

TwoSunnyDays Thu 11-Jun-09 11:38:48

Try not to have too much alchohol at the BBQ, just the right amount, no spirits etc. Try to have some calming but fun music, select carefully. If there is an activity to keep everyone busy that would help. All this will help you relax a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now