Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Proof of maintenance

(4 Posts)
NoMoreNagging Wed 10-Jun-09 10:11:45

We have recently split and ex h is abroad where we lived before the split. I have applied for jobseekers allowance and they want proof of maintenance from him. The trouble is he will be sending some money by post to avoid bank fees which are huge when transferring money from a Euro bank to a British bank. It'll be the basic allowance for the dc and nothing more. What should I do?

Asking him to sign something is enough for him to stop doing it as he's not very cooperative at the best of times.

completelyabsolutely Wed 10-Jun-09 10:56:04

I don't know if this would work and I'm sure someone will have a better idea but, when you receive the money from him could you pay the money straight into your bank account and put a reference of 'maintenance' next to it so that it shows up on your bank statement.

StayingZen Wed 10-Jun-09 14:36:58

I have an online account with Alliance and Leicester, and transferring money from Austria via the Post Office is very cheap - can't remember if the fee is 2 euros or 10 euros. I believe there are similar arrangements in other EU countries. I think it has to be A&L in this country because they took over Girobank (no, I don't work for them, honest!). You might find it worth reimbursing XH for the fee if it means you get your jobseeker's allowance. Good luck!

completelyabsolutely Wed 10-Jun-09 15:34:06

Do you know who his bank account is with? I just thought after reading StayingZen's post, if he is with one of the banks in the Santander group it might be much cheaper to transfer money to A&L as they are owned by them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now