Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What Can I Do (Re Domestic Abuse)?

(7 Posts)
saggyhairyarse Fri 05-Jun-09 09:18:12

Last night I was in bed with my window open and I could hear an arguement. I went to the window and a couple were arguing. The man then got violent.

I ran straight down and dragged the woman in my house (he had thrown a bottle at her and she was covered in glass but was otherwise unhurt).

I don't know this woman but she lives in my village. We calmed her down and she confessed that she was living in an abusive relationship.

Obviously we told her that was not right and that there were agencies out there to help her but what can I actually do?

She would not make a Police report. Can I report it? I am sure I could find out her name and address as is a small village and her boyfriends brother runs the local pub apparantly.

BennyAndJoon Fri 05-Jun-09 09:31:54

I think one of the best things you can do is be there to support her if you can.

I am not an expert, but there are people who are. Could you call women's aid for advice?

about their helpline

The number is 0808 2000 247

They will tell you what, if anything, you can do to help

dizietsma Fri 05-Jun-09 09:38:23

Yes you can report it, and you ought to IMO. Try and speak to the domestic violence team specifically (if they have one!).

Also suggest talking to WA too.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 05-Jun-09 10:02:21

Message withdrawn

mpuddleduck Fri 05-Jun-09 22:46:12

If you can, offer her support, for me it was the opening of a door when someone else found out what was happening. It is still hard and I haven't reported my dh, but I have done lots of talking on MN, and feel Iam now stronger and able to do something about my situation.
But to have a real life friend would be my ideal situation. Hope you can stay in contact with her and just be there when she needs someone to talk to.

saggyhairyarse Sat 06-Jun-09 22:32:14

I saw her today at the local village rag. She made eye contact but didn't speak (I said 'hiya') but she was with him.

BBisfinallyPG Sun 07-Jun-09 10:26:21

i would like to sya well done you for helping her in the first place, it was brave of you to become involved. if i were in that situation i would be glad of a neighbour like you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now