Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

This is an AIBU but about my relationship which is why it's here...

(9 Posts)
AddictedtoCrunchies Mon 01-Jun-09 17:02:14

...I love my DH but he's really, really getting on my wick. He does most of the cooking and washing up and I do all the washing and ironing so our chores are shared.

I do most of the childcare (he's your typical man who will just walk out of the door with DS - no dummy, nappy, drink, sunhat, sun cream, etc etc) but that's fine. He works hard to provide the main portion of the money and I work four days a week. I go out and play sport regularlly as does he.

My problem is the TV. It's always on. Constantly. And it's only ever on 401, 102, 403, 404 or 405. Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, Xtra or News.

I used to joke that he'd watch Inner Mongolia play Outer Mongolia at lacross if he had the chance but it's really getting like that!! I like to watch football but not if there's something better to do.

We do Sky+ CSI and various other things that we watch together..sometimes but it's the bloody sport which is driving me mad. Thing is see I'm NOT anti-sport. I play it myself and don't mind watching some, it's just the mindless channel-hopping which is doing my head in.

I have mentioned it several times and his answer is 'well what do YOU want to watch then?' But if I put something else on, he goes upstairs. (I did make him sit through BGT on Saturday though).

AIBU to be a bit cross? Have any of you lovely ladies got any tips?

Tortington Mon 01-Jun-09 17:05:12

each do your own thing until 8.30pm

presuming he gets home at 6.30 that gives him time to eat tea, do chores, watch sport

come 8.30 its together time for 90mins.

alter the schedule as per your actual life grin

stillstanding Mon 01-Jun-09 17:05:39

I can't stand it when TV is constantly on and the whole sport thing would drive me MAAAAAD. That would definitely not wash in my house and I so I would say that you are being entirely reasonable. I think it is really, really damaging to home life. But alas I have no tips on how you could sort it out apart from Laying Down Some Rules.

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 17:06:24

Get another telly?

Pick a night each for chosing what to watch?

triggerhappybaby Mon 01-Jun-09 17:12:25

My sister divorced her first husband when she found him on a Sunday morning watching a pakistani programme with welsh subtitles. He is neither pakistani nor welsh.

I mean, there were other reasons as well, obviously. I think this is one of those where you have to make a list of his good points and bad ones and if the good outweigh the bad then maybe it is a little incy bit unreasonable... I have the situation with my DP - I enjoy reading in bed just before going to sleep (or other things!), he wants the telly on to watch things that, quite frankly, I wouldn't watch if I was being paid to. It goes off at midnight, regardless of what he is in the middle of, as payback for disturbing my reading. Can you set limits like that do you think? Or set aside time to do something together which takes him away from the telly?

pingviner Mon 01-Jun-09 19:42:21

when I was a teen my mother got rid of the TV completely for this reason - my father and brother would watch any sport going and because we had been without TV for many years before it soon became clear how much time was wasted on it, we didnt eat as a family etc. Didnt really bother me or my sisters since we barely got to touch the remote anyway grin
Parents have never got tv again. Honestly, pull the plug, he may thank you!

AddictedtoCrunchies Mon 01-Jun-09 19:58:11

Thank you all for your advice. I put my foot down tonight!!

We met at 5 and walked together to collect DS from nursery. Walked back home, played for a bit while tea cooked. Then after we'd eaten, I bathed DS and he washed up ALL WITHOUT THE TV ON!!!

Then I did a bit of weeding while he finished clearing up.

Now he's watching cricket while I'm on here. I think that's fair.

This is the new me!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 01-Jun-09 20:18:18

lol at triggerhappy - I first realised DP had a crap telly addiction when I caught him watching Gazetta Football Italia midnight once on S4C. That's Italian football withe the commentary dubbed into Welsh. All you could understand was bla-blad-de-bla SHEVCHENKO!! He is neither Italian, Welsh or at all interested in football grin

We do not like the same TV programmes at all, he would sit there and watch an endless loop of Time Team, CSI and programmes about the Egyptians if I let him.

No advice really, we just have our non-negotiables (I make him watch the Apprentice, he makes me watch Bear Grills) and in between we just huff and puff at each other.

triggerhappybaby Mon 01-Jun-09 20:33:31

Programmes about Egyptians?? Now that's a fetish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now