Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How many m'netters thought felt like they'd never find "mr right"

(13 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Sat 30-May-09 19:38:04

And can I please hear the lovely stories which proved you wrong?

silkcushion Sat 30-May-09 19:45:32

ok - got divorced after being with exh 10 years (no kids)

Was 28 with a good job and reasonably attractive but could not meet men anywhere (other than married ones at work who wanted a shag)

Db suggested internet dating, went on a couple of dates with different nice men (no spark of attraction)

Then met up with DH (nearly chickened out as he had kids from previous marriage and I didn't want baggage). Met on Sunday evening for a couple of drinks and thought - nice but not sure. Met again on the Thursday for dinner and drinks and thought 'I want to marry him and have his babies' - so I did grin (well producing 2nd baby anyday now)

Completely shocked by the fact that I met him, how strongly I felt and the fact that he wasn't anything like my ideal version of Mr Right (that was 5 yrs ago)

SimpleAsABC Sat 30-May-09 20:17:36

That's lovely, anyone else? I am being slightly self indulgant but if it makes me feel better it's worth it.. isn't it??

duvetheaven Sat 30-May-09 22:38:23

I was nearly 34 and looking into emigrating. Was set up on a date by a friend , we started talking and never stopped. Now married with baby 5 years on from that date!! grin

makipuppy Sat 30-May-09 22:41:59

I had a series of relationships that were never going to work - mostly with commitment-phobic men, until I was 39. I did freak show internet dating for about a year, on and off, with absolutely not a glimmer of hope. Then one day I walked into a pub and met DP. The good thing is that he's cleverer, funnier and sexier than anyone I ever met before, just when I thought I'd have to start compromising (god forbid). We're expecting a baby in August.
Wishing you happiness

jabberwocky Sat 30-May-09 22:51:46

Was resigned to the single life after getting divorced at age 26. I met dh when I was 34, got married at 36 and 10 years later we have two dcs.

He is totally different from what I thought I was looking for but definitely what i needed

HolyGuacamole Sat 30-May-09 23:21:24

Me!!!

<sticks hand up in the air>

I was off relationships forever. After 2 long term really shitty ones, just thought, I can't be arsed with all this palaver.

Met my (now) DH, we'd been friends for about 12 years but nothing else and it just sort of happened. I resisted with a militant "you won't get me' attitude but got to the point where I could lose him and succumbed smile

He is a great guy and much to my shock (due to previous relationships) is very non judgemental, open, honest, emotionally happy and a bloody good laugh.

Shows that when you least expect it, the strangest things can happen. Been married a year next Weds and wouldn't swap him for the world grin

BalloonSlayer Sun 31-May-09 06:14:37

I was divorced (ex H had dumped me), over 30, back living with my Mum shock, and I felt like my life was over.

I started doing a degree course at University. Working in the holidays I finished a temp job early and thought I might enjoy a couple of days off. Knowing my Mum would nag my arse off for not working at every opportunity I reluctantly rang the agency, confident that they would have nothing for me at such short notice.

"Thank God you rang," she said, "We've been let down and we really need someone to go into this job tomorrow."

D'OH!

And in that particular workplace, was DH.

The temp agency lady was single and was envy of me finding a man so easily. I went into a London branch of the agency a couple of years later to find her there - she had transferred. She remembered me and told the whole office how I had met DH. Maybe she was working in the wrong type of agency.

Scrumplet Sun 31-May-09 20:59:15

at these posts.

Sullwah Mon 01-Jun-09 19:28:33

I was 39, closely approaching 40. Had just dumped bloke that had been going nowhere.

Convinced myself that I was never going to have kids - as how could I meet someone, establish a relationship AND get pregnant at my age.

Met DH 3 months before turning 40 (introduced by friends) - got engaged 5 months later - married 3 months later - pg 7 months later.

smilesmilesmilesmile

I had a huge mega career, repected at work, wonderful family and all that stuff.

AND I never knew just how much better life could be. I am sooo happy smile

geekgirl78 Mon 01-Jun-09 20:13:53

Oh - keep these coming! Have just had yet another 2/3 omnth relationship end on me and am feeling v despondent at present. Am 30 and will SCREAM if mother hopefully asks me if I've met any nice men recently (she thinks I'm far too independent and would have happily married me off years ago).

This is giving me some hope smile

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 01-Jun-09 20:19:12

Oh yes, definitely. I had got to the point where I was prepared to compromise quite drastically because I knew I wanted children and was past 30.
Then I met dh and didn't have to compromise. smile
God bless internet dating.

makipuppy Mon 01-Jun-09 20:43:38

Yes, internet dating! The ones you don't want to marry are an endless source of hilarious dinner party anecdotes (I still remember the one who told me he went wall climbing in the kiddie section because he was afraid of heights, and the one who didn't get me a drink all night because if he'd stood up I'd have known he lied about his height...oh I could go on!) but then I met DP and boy was he worth the wait...

Sullwah your story sounds exactly like mine smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now