Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I have long accepted that DH is a workaholic, but really this takes the biscuit

(30 Posts)
bran Fri 29-May-09 20:18:31

He was reading The Gruffalo's Child to DS (nearly 5 yo) before bedtime and he stopped half-way through to take a business call on his mobile. hmm

He tried to improve matters by waving the book at me across the room and waggling his eye-brows to suggest I should take over because DS was trying to sing down the phone (that's my boy grin).

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 29-May-09 20:19:15

That isn't that bad and you could have carried on reading so your son didn't miss out.

BreevandercampLGJ Fri 29-May-09 20:20:07

Nuts - Net - Wearing...grin

warthog Fri 29-May-09 20:20:12

i get you bran. that is a bit much...

BreevandercampLGJ Fri 29-May-09 20:20:36

Wasn't aware that Bran refused to. hmm

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 29-May-09 20:21:11

But she didn't say she had either.

bran Fri 29-May-09 20:22:28

Really? You don't think it's all that bad FBG? I may have to reconsider my attitude to DH. It was only 10 mins off bed-time, he could have ignored it and phoned the guy back.

I don't understand Bree's post [dim emoticon]

MrsTittleMouse Fri 29-May-09 20:22:31

The Gruffalo's Child is such a long complicated book to read too, isn't it? No chance of calling back after he'd finished. hmm

BreevandercampLGJ Fri 29-May-09 20:23:21

And whats more, bedtime should be sacrosanct, my DH switches his mobile for bed time and our DS is 8.

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 29-May-09 20:23:39

I just think sometimes calls need to be dealt with and it doesn't hurt for a child to wait. DH does most of the bedtime stuff but I will step in if he needs to do something.

bran Fri 29-May-09 20:24:29

I didn't read it. I believe in natural consequences, and watching DH trying fend off DS was hilarious. I did, helpfully, mouth "You are such a workaholic" at DH.

Lizzylou Fri 29-May-09 20:25:32

That is not good, why was the mobile even in the room whilst he was reading? (I realise am assuming it was in your DS's bedroom).

I too am too thick to understand your post Bree blush Nice to "see" you though...

bran Fri 29-May-09 20:30:34

They were on the sofa in the sitting room (which DS calls the "city room" grin) and I was down at the dining end on the computer. The mobile was in DH's pocket. It's never switched off, although it's often left behind in places.

I think I should point out that DH doesn't do anything terribly important, although he thinks it is. Nobody was going to die/get arrested/loose a fortune if he had phoned back later.

Interestingly, we are going away tomorrow until Wednesday and I overheard him saying that he's sure there is broadband at the cottage and he'll be able to do something about 'it' from there. hmm Another fun-filled holiday for me then.

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 29-May-09 20:32:24

On the rare occasion DH takes time off work they always ring him at home to sort things out. It is just the way it is.

Lizzylou Fri 29-May-09 20:32:41

OOh Bran, any way you can sabotage the broadband or summat? Lose the mobile charger?

I think it is good to have a strong work ethic, very admirable, but it is good to strike a balance and 10 mins wouldn't have made a huge difference.

lisad123 Fri 29-May-09 20:34:07

we dont answer the phone if doing bedtime. I think if your home, your not at work and im sure 99% could wait till morning!

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 29-May-09 20:36:26

I must make it clear that if DH was doing anything especially with the kids he would ring back but when work ring they need him for something and it needs sorting pretty much there and then. I guess it all depends what job your Dh does.

BreevandercampLGJ Fri 29-May-09 20:37:41

LizzyLou

It meant was he wearing his nuts in a net as a result of it. grin

dilemma456 Fri 29-May-09 20:39:27

Message withdrawn

bran Fri 29-May-09 20:46:46

His nuts are intact - I am feeling mellow today. grin

The phonecall was to update DH about some contract that they are going for, it could have waited. DH didn't even try very hard to justify it to me, he just said it was important the this guy was congratulated for his hard work. hmm I think he just answered it because he's unable to put work second, ever.

The cottage doesn't have broadband, DH never asked me if it did and until he does ask me I'm not telling him. [evil grin] It's in a small village so I doubt there's even an internet cafe anywhere. DH is going to be very jittery by the time we leave. grin

Lizzylou Fri 29-May-09 20:47:57

Bree - AAAH HAA! grin

Lizzylou Fri 29-May-09 20:48:41

grin Bran, hope you have a lovely time.

dilemma456 Sat 30-May-09 10:10:48

Message withdrawn

lockets Sat 30-May-09 10:17:19

Message withdrawn

bran Fri 05-Jun-09 14:30:16

He did devote a lot of time and effort to getting online as you predicted dilemma. hmm I let him set up the computer and search, then waited for him to ask whether it was wi-fi or a cable connection before telling him there wasn't one. [evil] In the end the best that he could do was to go to the public library and deal with his emails, and it wasn't open at the weekend.

He did get extremely twitchy about it all and has instructed me to research the best dongle connections to avoid the same happening in the future. I've forgotten that he asked me to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now