Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

problem with dh

(29 Posts)
pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 09:56:09

My dh doesn't seem to want sex anymore. Is this something men go through at a certain age?

I have tried everything, but he just says he's tired. Then if we do have sex, he turns very selfish, as if I'm not there.

I know he isn't having an affair or anything...just wondering what could have happened. IS this him going through a mid-life crisis or something. He has mentioned about wanting a tatoo.

biglips Tue 03-May-05 10:00:04

uh-ho.... thats the sign of mid life crisis that your DH wanting a tattoo so he trying to prove himself that he can still do things that young people do.

sometimes me and DP goes without sex for weeks as we were both tired so we have laid the rule down (since after having baba) that once a week on a Fri/Sat or Sun we will make love.. if we dont, then we will never get round to it like before

biglips Tue 03-May-05 10:00:45

how old is he anyway? as midlife crisis starts at 40, am i right?

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 10:01:58

He is 33. Just he usually enjoys sex, but lately he doesn't want it anymore. It usually me pushing him off, lol!!

biglips Tue 03-May-05 10:03:27

only 33!!! .. is he happy with himself?

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 10:16:24

not sure. He is a very private person and won't open up to me.

compo Tue 03-May-05 10:19:31

Personally I think you can have a 'mid life' crisis at any age it doesn't have to be at 40.

gggglimpopo Tue 03-May-05 11:12:04

Matbe that's why he is taking you to Paris?

Rhubarb Tue 03-May-05 11:15:25

Depression? Sit down and find out what is bothering him, but don't mention the sex issue or he'll get all defensive on you.
If you show an interest in his tattoo maybe he'll open up to you? Suggest he gets one in a rude place!

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 11:48:46

maybe! Not sure why he would be depressed. His life is going rather well at the moment.

I have tried loads of times to find out what is wrong, but he says nothing and clams up.

Men, eh!!!

starlover Tue 03-May-05 11:53:22

pinkroses... depression doesn't always have a "reason".. that's why a lot of people don't realise that they have it, because there is nothing in their life that they feel is causing them to be unhappy.

How do you think he would feel about talking to someone from Relate or something? I think the problem does need addressing, because it won't go away on its own.

But as you say, men do tend to just clam up and refuse to accept that there is something wrong.
Perhaps you could try talking to him and tell him how his behaviour makes YOU feel. Make it about you so that he doesn't feel that you're getting at him or whatever.

fostermum Tue 03-May-05 14:51:59

i went through this with my husband complete lack of sex no kissing nothing, was acting depressed not sleeping ect, went to doctors who gave him AD but wouldnt take them wont talk about it, have asked him so many times, hes taken up new hobbies goes out a lot with his mates never askes if i mind, we dont say more then a few words to each other a week sometimes ive now moved into seperate room as his not sleeping made sure i couldnt either!and he didnt even question it.now i wish i had courage to say ok enough is enough,still think hes thinking of leaving code still on phone and p.c so i cant check up on his calls from his"friend".but after a really bad devorce last time just cant face making first move this time

fostermum Tue 03-May-05 16:04:41

sorry dont mean tosay your problems will end same way just saying that it can happen and they dont even know why themselves,talk,if he will,if he wont its a waiting game

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 16:15:06

Councelling won't help him. He hates telling anyone about our personal lives.

I may back off a little over sex and let him come to me, but I will introduce a bottle of wine tonight. See if I can get him to open up a little.

fostermum Tue 03-May-05 18:13:42

good luck for tonight lets hope it lights those old fires

Tortington Tue 03-May-05 18:36:12

have you told him he has a nice arse recently? bit of innuendo carry on stylee? its great for self esteem is that becuase it is said in jest and there is no pressure - smack his arse as you go into the kitchen.

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 18:45:19

Will try that as he's making tea!!

Tortington Tue 03-May-05 18:58:12

oh the food innuendo!!

haven Tue 03-May-05 19:36:04

went throught this with dh...i was sooo depressed for a long time..he would say he was stressed out or he was tired and all this crap...but....ironicly later on it was me...LOL i was tired...stressed and all the things he would tell me and i thought he didn't think i was sexy, or attractive...or i thought he was having an affair...but...guess he wasn't..

morningpaper Tue 03-May-05 19:41:16

Are there are physical problems when you do have sex, or does he perform as per usual?

pinkroses Tue 03-May-05 20:29:14

no. Sex is good. No problems. He was going through a phase of wanting blow jobs, but we came to a compromise and he was happy. He used to be after it all the time, but lately he isn't interested and pushes me off or ignores my advances. Even me asking for sex, he just turns me down.

numb Tue 03-May-05 23:13:08

hate to say this but are you 100% sure about an affair. I thought I was when after always wanting sex my dh seemed to just go off it and he was seeing someone else. At the time i would have bet my life on him not doing this to me. He also wanted a tattoo by the way. Yours probably isnt but just be careful

hugs xx

Tortington Tue 03-May-05 23:58:45

so is it a punishment thing - your not getting any if he doesnt get bj?

If so...remember your prolly just as good at getting yourself off as he is - perhapshe needs reminding of that - even if its untrue!

fostermum Thu 05-May-05 08:28:07

did it work pinkroses???? the wine that is?

Tortington Thu 05-May-05 16:47:46

did it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now