Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Will they take offence at a give-a-goat catalogue?

(6 Posts)
assumedname Fri 29-Apr-05 13:17:33

From now on I would like to ask my sil and bil to get me a gift from a give-a-goat website or catalogue - making sure it's one of the ones with gifts at £5. Do you think this is ok or will they take offence?

According to mil they're not well off - hence the £5 - but I am sick of getting absolute tripe. Last year's birthday present (in mid-February) was a calendar for that year.

Last year's Christmas gifts are just waiting for the school's summer fete.

I really like the idea of helping someone else and also not being let down again at Christmas/birthday.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

WigWamBam Fri 29-Apr-05 13:19:31

I would think that they would be happier to know that their money is being spent on something you would really like, rather than on tat which they can't really afford and which you will only give (or throw) away. I know I would, anyway.

HappyDaddy Fri 29-Apr-05 14:00:35

Why not just say that you don't really do the present receiving thing. I'm sure they wont be offended.

suzywong Fri 29-Apr-05 14:17:20

that's a great idea
my mum and dad got us a midwife and a bicycle for xmas, far far better than a cheque for £25 that would cost us £7 to process into our Australian accounts

more people should do it to avoid the gluts of tripe

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 14:19:35

I'm sorry but I think it is rude to specify what kind of gift you would like to receive from someone. You can always donate their gift to a charity shop without them ever knowing which would help a charity without hurting someone's feelings

SenoraPostrophe Fri 29-Apr-05 14:32:23

I think it's a great idea - it's hard to buy prezzies on a budget and it will save them a lot of effort.

Obviously you need to be slightly tactful about it though - why don't you email/ring them, say you have a friend who is much richer than you and do they think she would be offended to receive a goat? work in how much you would like to receive them and you're done!

On another note - I have to buy a wedding present next week and have lost the wedding list card (probably only too-expensive stuff left now anyway). do you think it would be ok to give them a couple of goats?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now