Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can I have just a little rant please about my dad?

(6 Posts)
jura Thu 28-Apr-05 23:16:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tigermoth Thu 28-Apr-05 23:41:27

ohh, I feel for your here as I have just started letting my just year 6 son walk home from school alone, on one or two afternoons a week. If my inlaws phoned up my son and started to quiz him about it, I'd be fuming too.

You have studied the risks, feel ok about them and you know the route and area really well - far better than your parents, I bet. Therefore you have made a difficult but adult decision and they should respect that.

Fine if they have concerns and go to you so you can reassure them.

Certainly not fine if they go direct to your dd. This is undermining your judgement, implying they don't trust you to look after their grandchild. And by questioning your decision, they are letting themselves off the hook, so if anything ever happens they can say 'I told you so'. You need back up, here! Also, as you say, they are upsetting your daughter by making her feel unsure.

Are they in a position to help with the school run? I bet they are not! hugs!

redsky Thu 28-Apr-05 23:45:38

I can just imagine this scenario with my parents. I don't know if this is the 'right' thing to do but I wouldn't say anything more about it to either mum or dad. I would talk to dd and just make sure she feels happy to walk home. If so, I would remind her how much she is loved by her grandparents and that sometimes they can worry a bit too much.

jura Thu 28-Apr-05 23:52:21

jura Thu 28-Apr-05 23:54:41

SleepyJess Fri 29-Apr-05 00:58:13

I think it's a very responsible thing to do to let a Y6 child start making the journey on their own (circumstances alloweing) if they are going to be doing it - as most do - in Y7. Y7 is stressfull enough without a chhild feeling out of her depth because she is suddenly walking without an adult when she has had no previous experience of this.

SJ x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now