Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Back to work.......uh oh.

(4 Posts)
keepingitquiet Thu 21-Apr-05 16:10:25

I'm a regular poster but I've changed my name for this DP knows my normal nickname.

I'm due back at work next week after my 6 month maternity leave and something is really worrying me.

I'm looking forward to going back (although I will miss my gorgeous little DS so much) but there is kind of an awkward stuation with a colleague. Lets just say things happened that shouldn't have happened after we had too much to drink. DP does know about this BTW and believe me I'm not proud of it and not about to make excuses for my behaviour. It was a mistake.

Can't avoid this person as I work in the same office with them. To top everything off, my Line Manager is one of his best friends (LM started work after this incident). I'm worried LM will find out - she's also v good friends with his GF. Not that I think he would say anything but you never know.

What's the best way to handle this?

Bugsy2 Thu 21-Apr-05 16:24:48

hmmmmm, tricky one. I would keep quiet about the whole thing. Behave in a completely professional way toward "awkward colleague" and Line Manager. I think it is highly unlikely "awkward colleague" will have said anything as it is hardly going to paint him in a good light.
If, god forbid, anyone mentions it, just say it was a long time ago and you don't want to discuss it, you are just looking forward to getting on with your work. DO NOT under any circumstances get drawn into a discussion with anyone about it.

keepingitquiet Thu 21-Apr-05 16:33:03

That sounds sensible bugsy2. I would hate for my LM to find out as she has been exceptionally supportive and helpful during my pregnancy and is a great manager generally. It would put her ina horrible position if she knew. Slightly awkward though as she often invited me out for lunch and ac would come along too.

Bugsy2 Thu 21-Apr-05 16:47:19

could see how lunch could be a bit painful - but you will just have to grit your teeth & do it. Think of lots of superficial chit chat stuff to talk about: holidays, weather, sporting events - any old rubbish that is neutral & not personal. I'm sure you'll find before long, you'll be able to talk to "ac" without cringing!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: