Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

ex-boyf gets in contact - oh dear dilemma!

(17 Posts)
hellomama Tue 19-Apr-05 21:58:38

Ex-bf and i were together when i was 17 (he was 20) for about a year. Defining relationship and all that. Very passionate. Kind of split up because he left uni (he went to the uni in my home town, that how we met) as he wasn't sure if he wanted to continue with the course. He went 'travelling' for 6 months. We kind of kept in contact during that time. When he returned, he came back to me, we had one more passionate night where he told me he had made a big mistake... he had marrried his czech ex-gf during the 6 months 'travelling'. I was devastated to say the least. We had a screaming row and I told him I never wanted to see him again. He tried to contact me about 5 years ago (i am now 25) but I had just moved to london with now DH and my mum warned me he would cause me lots of trouble if I got in contact so I ignored his message. But he has now managed to get in contact via email again and would like to know how I am. I have been happily married to the most wonderful man for 5 years, but I do often think about my Ex-BF, mainly because we didn't have closure and I wonder what he is doing now and if he is still married. I am sure it would lead to nothing, I am just curious. What do I do????

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 19-Apr-05 21:59:59

Let sleeping dogs lie.

trefusis Tue 19-Apr-05 22:11:03

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Tue 19-Apr-05 22:12:56

I'm with Puff and trefusis - keep the lid on that particular can of worms.

And can we think of any more "leave well alone" cliches ?

trefusis Tue 19-Apr-05 22:13:36

Message withdrawn

snafu Tue 19-Apr-05 22:16:36

From bitter experience, I know that no good can come of fiddling with the past, however innocent or straightforward the intentions. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

HappyDaddy Tue 19-Apr-05 22:52:11

Leave it, otherwise it'll cause too much grief.

Yorkiegirl Tue 19-Apr-05 22:55:28

Message withdrawn

prettyfly1 Tue 19-Apr-05 23:50:25

stay far far far away - believe me it never works out ESPECIALLY if there are unresolved tensions ( trust me just about to give birth to the child of my ex who was also a defining relationship - he chased me for six months and eventually got what he wanted when i was too drunk to even stand and he was sober - then did the off when i found out i was expecting). Enjoy the memories you have of him and leave it there.

hellomama Wed 20-Apr-05 09:40:45

prettyfly, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. You will have a lovely DS / DD out of the experience though, I wish you lots of luck with the birth! I think I have been well and truly told haven't I? Thanks for all your responses.

elsmommy Wed 20-Apr-05 09:59:05

I'd e-mail him back just for some closure...
Theres no harm in a little e-mail.....

elsmommy Wed 20-Apr-05 09:59:05

I'd e-mail him back just for some closure...
Theres no harm in a little e-mail.....

slug Wed 20-Apr-05 10:01:43

Let's see....he abandoned you, appeared back in your life suddenly, allowed you to think the relationship was back on, got intimate with you while all the time he was married and didn't think it necessary to tell you? No wonder you stioo have issues. Don't get involved with him again. If you do feel compelled to see him, use this opportunity to kick him in the balls for playing with your emotions while you were so young and vulnerable.

prettyfly1 Wed 20-Apr-05 12:33:07

thanks hellomamma - i am blessed and looking ofrward to the birth of my first son but i still wouldnt want to see anyone else hurt by a relationship that should by rights be left where it is.

WideWebWitch Wed 20-Apr-05 12:56:33

Agree with everyone, definitely leave it in the past. Inviting him to supper with you AND your dh is the only appropriate way to see him, if you must. But even that, what would you do it for? You don't always need 'closure' imo.

MeerkatsUnite Wed 20-Apr-05 13:21:23

You may be curious but curiousity killed the cat.
Ex's are ex's often for good reason and should be kept in the past. You will open up Pandora's box if you let him in now.

Your Mum has previously given you good advice also.

I would stay well away and delete his mail that he has sent to you. BTW how did he get your e-mail address?. Change this at once. You have a new life now and you don't want to be spoiling it in any way for some "man" who, lets face it, treated you appallingly and took advantage of both his wife and you at a tender age. He is so not worth any further pain.

You perhaps need an answer as to why but I do not think you're going to get one from him. He is a toad of the first order.

Hermione1 Wed 20-Apr-05 13:40:31

I'd close the book on it, if i were you. Things have changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now