Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone Else Married To An 'Age-Inappropriate' Husband?

(46 Posts)
LeQueen Fri 20-Feb-09 08:38:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeQueen Fri 20-Feb-09 08:48:25

LucyEllensmummy Fri 20-Feb-09 08:52:39

bucket of water time grin Doesn't the bedroom need a hoover???

LOL sounds like he works hard and deserves a "break" shame he is going to need a break from his break!

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 20-Feb-09 08:54:29

grin grin

I don't have the answer but my DH is similar. Fast approaching his 37th birthday and on the rare occasions he goes out drinking, he invariably ends up either losing something, breaking something or being sick on something envy.

He was out at a "lunch" do last week and came home at midnight with a scratches down his face and broken specs. He apparently stumbled off the pavement and swan dived on to the floor. He had to go into the office the next morning looking like Jack Duckworth with his specs sellotaped together because he'd broken his spare ones during similar drunken antics at Christmas.

All this I can forgive..... however, dancing and singing to Wham (and knowing all the words) in front of all his employees at the Christmas party has been difficult for him to live down smile

LeQueen Fri 20-Feb-09 09:38:40

LeQueen Fri 20-Feb-09 09:41:44

LightShinesInTheDarkness Fri 20-Feb-09 09:50:07

is he out at awards dinners because he is winning them?!

AnAngelWithin Fri 20-Feb-09 09:56:02

my DH is 30 this year and is age in appropriate i suppose. Suppose really he should be 50-60! lol. He never goes out, doesn't drink and loves just sitting in with me and watching a dvd, playing games etc. Suits me fine though! I love the boring life lol.

thumbwitch Fri 20-Feb-09 09:56:53

I have an age-inappropriate DH too - but his stuff is more day-to-day teenage irritatingness! His last binge (works do, tres embarrassing) was the last time he touched alcohol - he had gone out that evening back in September, promising that he wouldn't overdo it because he
a) didn't want to embarrass himself in front of colleagues
b) didn't want the hangover the next day
c) didn't want me giving him grief all weekend

So - he comes home at 12:30 (they were bussed there and back), couldn't get up the stairs (fell on the first one) spent the next couple of hours chucking and retching into the downstairs loo, slept on the dining room floor until 4am when he staggered to bed in the spare room (he'd been Told grin)
Next day - <shudder> - nasty. But I wouldn't let him rest, he had to look after DS for a bit (he was only 9mo at the time grin) and that evening we went to Proms in the Park - he kept asking when we could leave and I said "not until the end" - well, you can't miss the end, can you!

He hasn't touched a drop since - self-imposed though, I didn't have anything to do with it.

Now if only he could get it out of his head that behaving like a 15 year old is appropriate, I'd be happy!!

lockets Fri 20-Feb-09 09:58:13

Message withdrawn

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 20-Feb-09 10:05:45

DP doesn't go out all that often - when it does it is an epic.

He went out at last Christmas to a work party, came home without his coat, phone, camera, wallet, keys and one shoe. Disgrace.

On another occasion he came home with his brand new coat covered in mayonnaise.

A couple of weeks ago he went to London with his brother and some friends to watch a football match. They got drunk and silly on the first day, DP fell down some very long escalators on the tube. Cue more drinking and high jinks. Next day they were all hungover and missed the match.

He is 46. He has blowouts a couple of times a year. I suppose it is better than every weekend!

lilac21 Fri 20-Feb-09 12:31:09

Mine's 50 and has a whole bunch of uni friends who behave like they're at Oxford still. They have a long weekend together every year in which they always play football. I have a mental picture of them doing this in their eighties complete with zimmer frames. But is it so bad, when 95% of the time he is a responsible adult?

Othersideofthechannel Fri 20-Feb-09 12:36:19

Le Queen, my Dad very occasionally overdid it on the alcohol and came home student style until he was in his 60s.

Othersideofthechannel Fri 20-Feb-09 12:37:51

DH climbed trees and plays Lego and it's nothing to do with being a father, he just never grew out of it!

sparkyoldbint Fri 20-Feb-09 12:53:00

Well, I guess I must be an age-inappropriate girl-friend. At the ripe old age of 51 I'm still falling out of cabs at 3am, going to bed with my clothes on and dancing on tables (and more which I couldn't divulge here.) My DP says he can't keep up with me and his 18 year old son told him what a top bird I was!
Cut the guy some slack - HE'S ONLY 38 NOT 68!!

AnnasBananas Fri 20-Feb-09 12:58:53

Lequeen - i can sympathise. My DH is just the same when it comes to big nights out. He has this v annoying thing of always having to be the 'last man standing' even if we go to someone's house for dinner - I never like to outstay my welcome but he's there until the bitter end hoping for liqueurs, coffee, port and afterdinner mints FFS.

HD is 34 and has been like this all the 10 years I've known him. I am sure he'll still be like it at 45 which is just a bit tragic to me...

I can cope with it at the time but it's the next day I get really pissed off as lays in bed then is not up for doing anything with the children. Or forces himself to do something for fear of me whinging/nagging and is like a bear with a sore paw and looking like he'll vom in the nearest bin.

I do wonder about the state of his liver.

Stale kebab...yuk...stale kebab in bed...super yuk wink

AnnasBananas Fri 20-Feb-09 13:03:11

I have a friend whose DH always manage to either-

a) not have anough money for the taxi and wakes her up at 2, 3 or 4am asking for cash
b) leaves wallet in taxi
c) leaves mobile phone in taxi
d) falls asleep on train and missed his stop by miles

One of these things seems to happen every time he goes out.

She did, on one occasion, double lock the door and he had to sleep in the car. But then she doesn't take any crap...unlike me!

I am just too kind. <adjusts halo>

moondog Fri 20-Feb-09 13:10:03

It wouldn't bother me as long as he got his arse into gear when it was essential.

I think people should be left to do what they want as long as it affects nonone else.

If my dh collapses somewhere,I tell him I will not drag him home. I just leave him where he is.

suwoo Fri 20-Feb-09 13:16:14

My DH plays playstation online for hours on end against a bunch of kids and weirdo's from all around the world. They talk about wanking and Abbey Clancey and other teenage subject matter.

moondog Fri 20-Feb-09 13:16:55

OOh, that's a bit dodgy though...

Rubyrubyruby Fri 20-Feb-09 13:20:59

suwoo Fri 20-Feb-09 13:28:57

I just roll my eyes at him normally and tell him he's a prick and he gets all sheepish. He's a 37 year old showing off to his mates grin.

lou33 Fri 20-Feb-09 13:38:00

agree with ruby

it doesnt sound like this is all the time

being taken out for lunch to repent sounds good to me

HeadFairy Fri 20-Feb-09 13:47:02

HA! this all sounds spookily familiar...

DH is 39 next birthday and in the last couple of years he's...

1) got so drunk at an awards ceremony he came home covered in vomit (he puked on himself in the cab) and passed out on the bathroom floor.

2) got so drunk he couldn't find his way home and rang me at 3 in the morning crying because he was lost, and threatening to lie down in the middle of the road to sleep

3) got so drunk at his Christmas party he couldn't remember his address, I got a phone call at 4am from a work colleague who was in a cab with him, asking for our address.

4) got so drunk he caught the wrong bus and got lost in a part of town he didn't know and called me to ask me where he was... I was in Jerusalem at the time!

5) got so drunk he got on the wrong tube and ended up in the middle of nowhere... I only worked out where he was because when he called me bleating about being lost I could hear an announcement in the background saying "Hangar Lane tube station is now closed". This was pre ds so I being the saint that I am, got out of bed and drove half an hour to pick him up.

See how each example starts with the same three words? I could quote some more examples but it's depressing. He only really does it two or three times a year, but it always ends up with a late night phone call and me pacing the living room all night.

wilbur Fri 20-Feb-09 13:50:22

rofl at bringing the stale kebab to bed. At least he takes you to lunch to apologise. My dh is very similar - mostly fine but every now and then he's a disaster, I'm forever leaving him at parties, apologising to the hostess and letting him get on with it. I think I've decided he'll never change (and he said goodbye to 40 a few years ago) but I do wiish he would occasionally think about holding back. For one thing, he physically can't hold the amount of booze he used to, and that has led to some undignified stumbling and slurring. Maybe he'll learn, but I doubt it, some guys are just like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now