Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My DM is a coke addict!

(26 Posts)
soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 10:00:14

Okay so its the liquid rather than powder kind

Anyway, she uis down visiting us for a couple of weeks [stressed emotion]

DS(5) has just asked for a drink - I asked him what he wanted and he said 'col water with ice in in'.

So what does my DM do, gets up and comes back in waving a bottle of coke saying 'would you not rather have this'.

Cue a major rant from me - to which she responded 'its the diet kind - it hasn't got any sugar in it'.

Oh so what about all the other crap - including artificial sweeteners which I aviod like the plague myself never mind for the children!

Arrrgggggggggggg!!!!!!!!

Thanks all - ranting over now - peace and harmony shall be restored to the Soapbox household

anorak Sat 19-Mar-05 10:11:34

Reminds me of when my dd was 3 and saw my mother smoking, she said, 'what's that?'

My mother said, 'Cigarette, mmm, lovely..'

silly cow.

chipmonkey Sat 19-Mar-05 10:46:39

OMG! I would LOVE my ds's to drink water, they never have, even as small babies wouldn't take the cooled boiled water like other babies. To have anyone offer coke instead! My dm plies my boys with sweets when she's looking after them and then they expecth the same treatment when she's gone!

bonym Sat 19-Mar-05 11:00:15

I watched a mother pour a can of coke into her baby's bottle the other day (in the leisure centre cafe - very healthy!!) - I really had to restrain myself from making comment! What is wrong with some people!

Papillon Sat 19-Mar-05 11:01:39

I give herb teas with honey

bonym Sat 19-Mar-05 11:22:49

I watched a mother pour a can of coke into her baby's bottle the other day (in the leisure centre cafe - very healthy!!) - I really had to restrain myself from making comment! What is wrong with some people!

I used to feel like a freak when dd went to the parties of friends from nursery and all that was on offer was fizzy, sugar-laden drinks. I know it's daft but I was too embarrassed to say I wouldn't allow her to have them so used to say she didn't like them.

bonym Sat 19-Mar-05 11:23:28

Whoops - computer playing up!

WideWebWitch Sat 19-Mar-05 11:29:33

Soapbox, I won't have it in the house, it would do my head in too, poor you!

Twiglett Sat 19-Mar-05 11:57:59

actually even though I wouldn't let my kids have coke .. the full sugar one is far better for them than the diet one would be

your mother is mad

HUNKERMUNKER Sat 19-Mar-05 12:00:07

Agree. The other one has hard to pronounce muck in it. Never eat anything that isn't an ingredient you'd have in your house, I reckon

Pass the aspartame doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?!

soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 12:10:52

I never have it in teh house normally - but DM is so addicted to the crap thats in it that I think dealing with her without the fix would be more stress than I could cope with.

Got DS's birthday party tomorrow and I reckon he'll have more than enough sugary stuff to last him a month!

TBF DM is really good with the children usually its just that she is overly indulgent with them.

Guess who was made to feel like the wicked parent when DS has a mini tantrum 'cos I said no to the coke!!

soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 12:14:21

She also horror of horror smokes - but not in the house. I was recently telling DD about the horrors of smoking and she said - 'oh I love the smell of smoke - it smells like the parcels nana sends us' didn't know whether to or or !

She actually tried to light up in the playground yesterday while we were waiting for the children to come out of school. I had to get her to put it out sharpish before she was lynched by the other mothers

WideWebWitch Sat 19-Mar-05 12:18:08

Soapbox, I hope you don't think I was criticising you for having it in the house, I wasn't at ALL, I said 'I won't have it in the house' to emphasise how much I detest the stuff, that's all!

soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 12:18:45

WWW - no not at all WWW - just agreeing with you as to the vileness of the stuff

WideWebWitch Sat 19-Mar-05 12:20:35

oh good!

Tinker Sat 19-Mar-05 12:22:43

God, I love Coke - the real thing, not cheap, diet imitations

soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 12:25:58

Tinker its funny isn't it

I have never liked any sweet drinks - other than plain fruit juice. Don't like squash, coke, sugar in tea or coffee, liquers, lemonade, etc etc.

I like g&t though, and wine, and water, and tea and coffee without sugar.

I therefore don't think the children need any of it - horrid mummy that I am!!!!

I do buy them squash though but I spend hours in the supermarket trying to find squash that has no aspartime in it.

pixiefish Sat 19-Mar-05 13:21:46

One of my friends is a community dentist and she can't understand why some parents put coke into their babies bottles to go to bed at night

fuzzywuzzy Sat 19-Mar-05 13:32:52

At the moment I've gotten over the coke thing by telling dd1 that's it's yucky, she now goes round trying to stop my sister (aka the queen of junk food) drinking it, going no no no yucky yucky.
Whilst on the plane back home from holiday, in between tantrumming, she took the trouble to point out to me that passanger beside us was drinking yucky. I may possibly be responsible for any future therapy the child may require...

rickman Sat 19-Mar-05 13:35:34

Message withdrawn

bubbly1973 Sat 19-Mar-05 14:15:47

i am extremely addicted to it to the point that if we have run out i have to go and get some!!!

when i was pregnant, i stopped drinking it, treating myself once in a while, but by god i missed it!!!!

i stopped my ds from having telling him it was for grown ups (terrible liar!!) until one day over his nan and gramps, they gave him some even though i told him he wasnt allowed!

so now when i drink it he wants some
so i sneakly drink it, and he knows he isnt allowed to have it during the day, only at tea time when i have it with my meal

its not the ideal drink i would want him to have, but i cant get off the stuff, terrible i know but there we go!

piffle Sat 19-Mar-05 14:23:33

I am so anti Coke, I believe it is one of the worlds most evil things
We only use it for cleaning our lawnmower and drains. It is very good at that, imagine what it does to your insides
Grrrr,

jampots Sat 19-Mar-05 14:46:58

my sister is pretty addicted to coke and has been for years although when she has terrible lethargy and occasional pins and needles in her legs/arms. She was tested several years ago for MS and although they didnt say she had the disease, they did say that they couldnt rule it out (?)

Another lady whom I know does suffer with MS and a teacher at my secondary school also suffered.

snafu Sat 19-Mar-05 14:52:17

I used to love it when I had a cigarette - cold fat Coke with lemon, and a fag...mmmmmm.

Of course, I have long since given up both of those vile little addictions

bubbly1973 Sat 19-Mar-05 15:11:22

snafu, you mean to say you no long have a lemon and a fag

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: