Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When did and do you stop using condoms

(16 Posts)
fairyfly Thu 17-Mar-05 20:53:52

When did you decide after meeting your significant others that you would use other contraception. I mean for me it is a huge leap of faith, how do you know they are not carrying, or your not carrying an std?
To exchange your contraception for instance to the pill, is it normal to be tested for things?
I realise it depends on each individual and sexual history but with us all does there come a time when we just blindly take that second step?

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:05:19

i had a hiv tes when i was 67 months pg cos i found out an exp had it. it was a bloody horrendous time, felt sick. it was negative but i made the decision then that i would not have unprotected sex again without him having a hiv test and i haven't, health is too important me thinks!

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:05:49

lol, actually was 7 months pg-am not an elephant

fairyfly Thu 17-Mar-05 21:09:16

Yes thats what i was thinking, perhaps i should insist we should both go. I'm sure most people just get on with it don't they?
Maisystar a feel for you that must have been a very scarey time

debs26 Thu 17-Mar-05 21:09:26

if you cant ask your partner to go for a test then you shouldnt be having unprotected sex. has he asked you? how many other women has he not asked? im not saying i havent done it (beer has lots to answer for) but even something easily treated like chlamydia (spelling?) can cause you major problems if undetected

fairyfly Thu 17-Mar-05 21:12:03

I can ask him, he would do it immediately

Hulababy Thu 17-Mar-05 21:12:18

What a nightmare time for you Maisystar; must have been terrifying.

I have actually never been in this situation at all, so no experience to speak off. Did you have a HIV test when pg? If so, you have this to show/tell your partner. I would then ask him to provide you with the same reassurance.

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:15:51

it was v scarey, l lived with him for 2 years and we did actually try for a baby. one good thing i suppose was it brought home to me that i could have caught it and i will never take that risk again.

ask him to take the test(like you said suggest you both go), then you can totally relax.

fairyfly Thu 17-Mar-05 21:16:15

I was never offered a test while pregnant either time. Last year he was tested for everything.
I am more curious if other people have ever thought about these factors. Most people i know go on the pill and i have always thought it quite dangerous, especially considering they have one night stands.
Saying that though, a relationship could be as dangerous for all we know.

trinityrocks Thu 17-Mar-05 21:21:55

I must admit this thread has made me think. My dh and I stopeed using condoms as soon as we know we were going to be together forever and get married(six months after meeting) but I suppose it's the past trhat matters. I feel really stupid now but at the time it seemed perfectly reasonable. He is in the navy and is checked regularly and I have now been checked twice because of pregnancys and we are both negatice but I must say I never thought about it really. Once I knew that we were exclusive I relaxed. Hope you don't think I'm totally dumb now!!!

melon1 Thu 17-Mar-05 21:34:46

I work in a hospital department that carries out the testing for STI's - before starting this job this issue would never have crossed my mind but now I would NEVER have unprotected sex with a new partner without us both getting tested.

WestCountryLass Thu 17-Mar-05 21:37:52

I think most people do the same Trinityrocks, you are not dumb at all.

DH and I both had colourful pasts but once we knew we were the ones for each other we stopped practising safe sex. It is really silly when you think about it though

bunni Fri 18-Mar-05 00:45:15

When you pregnant you get tested for HIV, they have to do it now, or is that only in certain places?

kama Fri 18-Mar-05 01:24:00

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Fri 18-Mar-05 05:35:36

I did when I realised one of my exboyfriends had been a little less than honest about what he did on the night's we didn't see each other. It was just before meeting my now dh.

kama Fri 01-Jul-05 13:11:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: