Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone live in the past?

(8 Posts)
whatif Sat 12-Mar-05 13:17:24

I find myself forever saying 'ifonly' and 'whatif'. I know its not healthy - the past is past and I cannot regret what I did or didn't do and even if things had been different its not to say I would be any happier. Anyone got any advice on focussing on the present and appreciating what I do have rather than wosrrying about what I don't?

tallulah Sat 12-Mar-05 17:28:12

If you find the answer, please let me know!

I spend my life wishing I'd done everything differently & it really doesn't help. You can't change what's gone but I find I just can't stop.

I've reached the stage where I'm wishing i'd enjoyed my kids more when they were little & wishing they were little again... of course at the time it was hell-on-earth...

Blossomhill Sat 12-Mar-05 17:30:56

I have been and also worry about the future too. I have been seeing an alternative yoga/colour clairvoyant and she said I waste too much time thinking about the past and the future. I need to live for today. Maybe you should think the same xxx

kama Sat 12-Mar-05 17:31:47

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sat 12-Mar-05 17:39:56

I used to really regret some things in the past, the way I wasted time, made stupid decisions etc. But right now with dd just 2.5 I always think well, if I'd done things differently I wouldn't be here with her right now and so I can accept all those past things because I do think that being here right now with her is far and away the best and most important part of my life.

justamom Sat 12-Mar-05 22:54:41

with all the mistakes that i have made, almost all have been for reason..everytime i think well if i would have done this, what if i would have done that well then i end up someone else than the persn that i am today and i kinda like the person i am today..i don't lye ( except you know lil white ones), love people, i would die for a stranger, i can follow or be led, and i am a good mom..Don't get me wrong i second guess myself, as a matter of fact i was in the mist of a what if session when i read this and i thought...............I LOVE ALL I AM!! and i wouldn't be without the person i didn't like in the beginning...
p.s. now i didn't say that i don't think about changing the once made decisions to something else.

sansouci Sat 12-Mar-05 23:04:07

Yes, I often think about the past and miss it. I think so much has changed for the worse, which is a terrible way to feel. Not worse just for me but for society in general.

I do regret mistakes I made, "bad" decisions, stupid behavior, etc. but I have learned so much, which is a good thing. I have also had so much fun & good times, too. I love remembering!

sansouci Sat 12-Mar-05 23:06:06

Not to say my life is bad; it's not, it's wonderful but I hate getting older! Hate it! I'm going to have to come to terms with it, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now