Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone else's mum like this?

(26 Posts)
Socci Fri 11-Mar-05 19:13:46

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Fri 11-Mar-05 19:33:35

I don't know any mums like this so I'm always surprised to hear stories like this.

FWIW and I'm a granny I'd have given you a pat on the back - a stitch in time and all that! Well done you!

Do some people REALLY think that making kids wait 5 minutes, hell, 10 minutes, for ANYTHING will do untold damage? - amazing!

mummytosteven Fri 11-Mar-05 19:41:56

mine is very good at realising things have changed since her day(apart from constant unnecessary fretting about DS health, development)but that's another story.

think you are 100% right about cleaning the carpet as soon as - and if your mum was that bothered about making dd1 wait, she should have either 1)taken over on the carpet or 2)got the lunch herself.....

kama Fri 11-Mar-05 19:47:02

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Fri 11-Mar-05 19:53:42

how old are your mothers?

mummytosteven Fri 11-Mar-05 19:54:38

well mine's 47, since you ask!

Socci Fri 11-Mar-05 20:06:52

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Fri 11-Mar-05 20:17:42

So why didn't she get off her bum and either make the lunch or clean the carpet?

Honestly some mother's have their priorities all wrong too.

kama Fri 11-Mar-05 22:38:52

Message withdrawn

HappyDaddy Fri 11-Mar-05 22:39:02

So she'd rather you left poo and germs on the carpet to get into the food that you'd would have prepared? Luckily my mum fell out with my dw so she doesn't see our dd!

kama Fri 11-Mar-05 22:42:21

Message withdrawn

lockets Fri 11-Mar-05 22:43:34

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Fri 11-Mar-05 22:46:27

My mum is fab too - if a little 'over protective' of the boys when she's with us. NEver met DH's mum - but she sounded wonderful and he was really close to her................and she did a great job of brining him up so must have been ok

huggybear Fri 11-Mar-05 22:48:40

My mom is 40 and tbh i sometimes disagree with the way she is raising her 4 year old. She isnt critical of me and neither am i to her. I think we both understand that we have our own ways of doing things.

Now the MIL......

frogs Fri 11-Mar-05 22:54:21

Talked to my mum about this recently. She had to take a lot of this kind of bollocks from her own mother when we were babies, and she reckoned that, after a wobbly start with her own grandkids (grandmotherdom was a bit of a shock to her) she realised the only acceptable comments were things along the lines of how lovely our children were and what fantastic parents we are.

I've thought since that that would form a good basis for an acceptable grandparent behaviour contract, which all should sign before being allowed access to the grandkids.

Socci Sat 12-Mar-05 00:10:57

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 12-Mar-05 00:17:37

Socci, my mum is lovely but my MIL is always giving opinions and criticising in a veiled way. I find it v. frustrating as you can't rant at your MIL in the same way as you could to your own mum. I think some people don't know where parenting ends and grandparenting begins!

Socci Sat 12-Mar-05 00:22:43

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 12-Mar-05 00:27:47

By the way Socci, how DO you clean poo off carpets?

Socci Sat 12-Mar-05 00:36:45

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 12-Mar-05 16:41:47

Cool! Thanks, Socci!

Socci Sat 12-Mar-05 16:47:52

Message withdrawn

kama Sat 12-Mar-05 16:49:38

Message withdrawn

tallulah Sat 12-Mar-05 17:25:18

My mum was like your socci until my children reached their teens. Now she never tires of telling me what I brilliant job I did with them (yes, I can see it for myself!). When I needed this sort of support with four under four she spent the whole time telling me how dirty their coats were and how unsuitable their clothes/hair/fill in the gaps & that i should be calm.

If she'd ever said to me "I'm going home" I'd have said "good. Don't come back"

Parenting is hard enough without a saintly grandma sticking her oar in!

jollymum Sat 12-Mar-05 17:34:30

OMG-I'm older than some of your mums! I woke up this morning feeling fat, fed-up, old, boring and incontinent 'cos had such a bad cough for 2 weeks keep weeing myself. My mum is 65, a great gran already and is great. One thing she says which is brill-she won't ever take sides in marital argyements, because it's between us two, but she'll offfer sdvice and as shoulder to rant on. I love my mum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now