Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would this wind you up? Or not?

(7 Posts)
coolbeans Tue 04-Nov-08 10:11:45

I think I'm being daft about this, but I can't work out why.

Anyway, just to set the background. My dp works with two women, both called Anna (names have been changed to protect the innocent).

In order to differentiate between the two, he calls one of them "my Anna". As in; "I was telling MY Anna, the other day, blah, blah, blah", or "When I I went to the meeting with MY Anna, etc.etc."

And it is driving me nuts - it just really grates on me. And I can't think of a way to bring it up with him, without sounding like an irrational, silly jealous bint.

I trust him and I know there isn't anything going on, no emotional affair or physical affair come to that. It's just a sort of verbal tic that sets my teeth on edge. It is annoying isn't it? Isn't it? (pleading emoticon).

howdoo Tue 04-Nov-08 10:57:56

Could you find something vaguely unattractive sounding to pretend you don't know which one he means? "Do you mean Big Anna?" Or "Chubby/Funny Nose/Big Ears/Thin Hair Anna" etc? grin

ginnny Tue 04-Nov-08 11:00:45

Just tell him you don't like it and think of something else to call her.
Just because its irrational doesn't mean you can't ask him to stop it.
I used to really hate that on dp's phone his ex wife's number was listed as home. He had just never got round to changing it, so I did it for him. He was confused for a few days and got the wrong number a few times but then he got used to it.

Thomcat Tue 04-Nov-08 11:01:28

Why not just say, 'sorry babe, i know you're just making it clear which Anna your talking about but would you mind referring to her as Anna A, or using her surname or something. I know it's a biut silly but the whole 'my anna' thing is just starting to jar / grate a bit, would you mind?' <insert sickly sweet smile>

Panfriedpumpkin Tue 04-Nov-08 11:06:16

no coolbeans, you're not being daft at all, imo. as Thomcat indicates, tell him how it is for you and ask/tell him to change to Anna A & B etc.

Have you thought of Relate?

kidding.

Thomcat Tue 04-Nov-08 11:07:40

LOL! I saw the realte bit and nearly spluttered my coffee all over the screen smile

coolbeans Tue 04-Nov-08 11:23:55

PanfriedPumpkin! smile
Thanks all, you’re right - I should bring it up; it’s not a big deal, after all.
It’s just misplaced pride/defensiveness on my part, and I’m not good at asking for things, it makes me feel vulnerable.
cbx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: