Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm eating a lot of humble pie today.......[grin]...long but worth it...

(24 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 03-Nov-08 11:52:43

Just to put this in context, there aren't many things we do celebrate, and so we have always made a big thing of anniversarys (presents for the kids too, etc); for our first he bought me a present for every letter of my name, and I bought him a motorbike. But as the years have gone by, he has, as men do, gotten a bit forgetful, and one memorable year I surprised him with a telescope and he surprised me with nothing. And if we do have a party or do anything else, it's always me that books it organises it etc. He just turns up. So I've been banging on for the last year that he better come up with something good for our 20th...!!

Anyway, he had bought me a set of steamer pans a few weeks before our anniversary and said 'that can be your first anniversary present' (i'm ashamed to say that although I loved the pans, I wasn't all that impressed with the idea of necessary cookware as a spectacularly thought out 20th anniversary present!). Then, a few days later, I was nipping accross the shop for a bottle of gin and he gave me a tenner and said, 'consider it an anniversary present'. He suggested I had a day at a spa with my sister, and paid for me to have a couple of really nice treatments and to go and return on the train so I could relax and not drive, which was wonderful, and I started to feel a bit spoiled and special.....

But then on the day he 'forgot', no card or flowers or anything and I have to admit, I was a bit upset. Later on, when we were shopping for our ds first bike, he kept drawing me to look at watches, but I didn't see any I liked and ended up buying one for myself when I was shopping for his present later (had it planned way in advance but it had been out of stock until the actual day) When I got home with it he gave me some money towards it and again said consider it part of your anniversary presents.

Long story slightly shorter, I had planned for my mum and dad, sister and her family, a favourite aunt and a long lost friend all to come up for a posh meal at a lovely italian restaurant on Saturday, stay over night and then all have brunch on Sunday. (Again, it was after the fact, but it's really hard to get bookings and this was as close to our anniversary as I could get). So on Friday my sil arranges a 'beauty day' at her house and my mate who does my nails and her mate who is a beautician come round and give me a makeover, supposedly so that I can recreate it the next night for this posh meal. Sil says, leave your ds with me, I'll drop him back later and put him to bed, why don't you see if you can persuade dh to take you out tonight, seeing as you're all done up. I say it's unlikely he can manage 2 nights out in a row (he is disabled and gets very tired easily) then go off shopping for presents for everyone for the next day.

Arrive home about half 6, and make a jokey remark about taking me out. He's on computer at the time, barely looks up but says 'go on then, Metal Mickey (biker mate of his who I barely know) is having a bash tonight. Let's just go there for half an hour and then come back to our local. So I'm pottering round unstacking the dishwasher, wrapping presents, generally messing about, till finally i go and sling some jeans and heels on and we leave. As we get in the car he hands me a Yorkie and says 'that's the last of your presents'. I laugh and say, i don't like Yorkies and anyway it says they're not for girls.

Arrive at wmc and wander in to metal mickeys bash to find that he has orgainised a surpise party for me, complete with all my family from down South who I didn't think were arriving til the next day, food, a disco and a cake!!!!! I was speechless. And the best bit is that all of those random pressies were all part of it.
Pan = P
Alcohol = A
Rest and relaxation at spa = R
Timepiece (Watch) = T
Yorkie = Y

I still cannot beleive it. The whole weekend was wonderful, it was great to have my family around for the extra day, the meal was amazing in the evening and brunch all together the next day worked really well, even if it was a bit of a squash to get 11 round my table and I had to borrow garden chairs off my neighbour. I think I might just keep him for another 20 years. Man, he is going to get 'so' much mileage out of this!!! gringringrin

It's just wonderful because we've had a really hard time adjusting since ds was born; 17 years on our own together and suddenly we never seemed to have any time for each other, and were narky with each other coz of tiredness etc, and this really has restored my faith in the depth of his love and appreciation for me.

TheArmadillo Mon 03-Nov-08 11:54:39

that is lovely.

And I'm sure even better for being a complete surprise.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 03-Nov-08 11:57:27

I've been walking round with this massive grin on my face ever since and mutting 'i can't beleive it'!!!!

sunsup Mon 03-Nov-08 12:00:09

Lucky you, sounds like you have a great guy there. I am married 21yrs and got zilch (never have actually).

MurderousMarla Mon 03-Nov-08 12:01:52

Ooh you lucky thing! Really wonderful post to read

dandycandyjellybean Mon 03-Nov-08 12:02:56

Awww, sorry Sunsup, didn't know were to post this, didn't want to come accross as gloating, but just wanted to big up my guy. I've posted here when things weren't going well and just wanted to say he'd really come through this time. Buy yourself something lovely on his credit card!

Lizzylou Mon 03-Nov-08 12:07:29

How lovely, you have a great DH there!
smile

Lemontart Mon 03-Nov-08 12:09:21

Oooh what a lovely man ) Reading your post has genuinely brightened my lunch hour.

I have a wonderful DH who is a great husband and fab dad BUT could not even work out which drawer his socks are kept every morning let alone organise a social event. I buy joint wedding anniversairy pressies for both of us now to avoid the inevitable stress of me having to deal with him being stressed at forgetting grin Not complaining really though as he is great in many other ways.

VineGuyFawkesFeltMyTits Mon 03-Nov-08 12:09:43

What a lovely OP, happy anniversary to you both grin

sunsup Mon 03-Nov-08 12:09:57

PLEEEEEEEEEEESE do not be sorry sexbombbikerchick. Its great your guy is so wonderful and you should shout it to the world, he so deserves to be 'biged up' Celebrate it. I wish more of our DHs were like yours.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 03-Nov-08 12:10:06

Wow ! I am very very impressed grin He sounds like a keeper

NomDePlume Mon 03-Nov-08 12:16:30

How lovely !

J2O Mon 03-Nov-08 12:37:07

Awww. happy anniversary

SquidgyBrain Mon 03-Nov-08 14:06:23

How LOVELY *got tears in my eyes*

happy anniversary!

dandycandyjellybean Mon 03-Nov-08 17:40:36

Thanks all, just thought it might be nice to have something positive to read for a change! I'm going to rev him up and shag him senseless later!!!grin

IWonderIfMamaGStillLovesMe Mon 03-Nov-08 17:42:40

So nice to have a happy (and totally unexpected) ending! grin

Spellcheck Mon 03-Nov-08 18:33:09

Ooooh, you lucky lucky girl!! envy

This made me cry, my H has been a complete tosspot and is leaving us. But it's not because of that - it's because for the first time I have realised that I could meet someone who does this for me!! And I can't wait!!

Thank you for giving so much hope. And enjoy your evening! wink

Dior Mon 03-Nov-08 18:39:34

Message withdrawn

milge Mon 03-Nov-08 18:43:39

Lovely! Lucky you!

QuintessentialGunpowderPlot Mon 03-Nov-08 18:53:14

Oh wonderful! You are a lucky girl! grin

What did you get him?

PandaG Mon 03-Nov-08 18:56:01

lovely story smile we just had 3 nights away for our 15th.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 03-Nov-08 21:57:41

He is very hard to buy for; but a few weeks before our anniversary he was looking at usb turntables on the internet; he has about 500 vinyl albums and a similar amount of singles. He's a real muso. So I said I would buy it for him. I also got him a couple of crates of his fave ale and half a doz bags of charcoal for his log burner in his shed; fave hangout with his mates. He was very chuffed with all of these, especially the turntable, which ended up helping towards the soundtrack for our disco.

It really seems as tho this has healed the rift that has been there since ds was born; just us bickering and grouching, but any grudges seem to have been erased and we are being loving with each other just like the previous, ds free 17 years. Not to say that ds hasn't been our absolute pride and joy, we both dote on him completely; he has completed us and made us a family. It's just that we were used to having so much more time for just us; and we have suffered as a consequence. But I think we'll be making the effort now; we've remembered what it was all about!!!!

QuintessentialGunpowderPlot Mon 03-Nov-08 22:12:28

It is wonderful. You have concentrated on eachother, and got eachother thoughtful things that you know you both like. smile

megcleary Mon 03-Nov-08 22:23:10

how lovely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: