Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Has anyone got experience of having guardianship of their parents?

(5 Posts)
CicatrickOrTreat Thu 30-Oct-08 21:09:05

I have had my application approved by the court, but I just wondered if anyone has experience of putting together the managment plan and of how the supervision (of me as the guardian ) will work?

Not sure if this should be in relationships, but it doesn't seem to belong anywhere else.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Thu 30-Oct-08 21:13:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CicatrickOrTreat Thu 30-Oct-08 21:17:41

Similar to power of attorney, but the person has to be aware of what they are doing to grant you power of attorney. My dad had already gone past that point, so he had to be assessed by 2 Drs and a Mental Health Officer and the 3 reports presented to the Sheriff court so that I can make financial and welfare decisions on his behalf.

But the outcome is the same, I think.

conkertree Thu 30-Oct-08 21:27:30

are you in Scotland? assuming so as you mention the Sheriff Court.

Have you looked at the Public Guardian's website - there is some useful info on powers of attorney, so I imagine they will also have a decent bit on Guardianships and how they work too.

kathrynharriet Fri 31-Oct-08 21:57:15

Hi, I have in place Guardianship/power of attorney over my father. Along with his wife and her daughter, he has early onset dementia. So far we haven't had to use it but it is all in place when the time comes. We all have to approve all decisions etc... A solicitor set it all, the firm was recommended to us as they dealt with a lot of these sorts of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now