Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just had the police at my door - DV at next door neighbour!

(10 Posts)
Creole Mon 27-Oct-08 10:43:19

I'm not sure if I should go round to them and offer a bit of support or should I stay out of it.

In the early hours of sunday morning my next door neighbours were having a major row as usual, but this time there was shouting and throwing of things (the stereo and ornaments are still out in the front garden). Anyway, according to the police just now, there has been a report of domestic violence, and the police wants to know who was doing the shouting /thowing. I truthfully, told him I don't know, given all I could hear is both of them shouting but can't see who was throwing.

The police also wants me to be a witness, but I told him I didn't see anything, just heard the "faffogle" - which was so annoying, as I couldn't sleep (next time it happens I will be calling the police myself).

So would you go round and offer support?? I'm very civil and near friendly with both of them.

LilRedWGoreandguts Mon 27-Oct-08 10:44:53

Not sure I'd go round, especially as you do not know who was on the receiving end of the violence. Just carry on as normal.

filz Mon 27-Oct-08 10:47:32

I have had to call the police about my form,er neighbours several times. I always hoped they knew it wasnt me but I suppose it was quite opbvious as the one time the police came round my house to listenhmm how weird they went silent and he disappeared out of the back door.....

Please stay out of it. Dont go round. They will imagine its you who has reported it anyway and it will make things worse for you

Creole Mon 27-Oct-08 10:50:25

No, I think it was the wife who reported it, she has done it before.

BitOfFun Mon 27-Oct-08 10:51:44

Support? What could you realistically do? Sorry, but you will look like a mad old curtain twitcher.

Creole Mon 27-Oct-08 11:10:42

That's why I'm asking.

Where I'm from the whole community would have gone round to offer support from the first sign of trouble. But this is England, things like that don't happen - different cultures I guess.

Thanks, I will stay away....

TheWomanWhoAteTraffic Mon 27-Oct-08 11:12:25

What the hell is a faffogle?

Creole Mon 27-Oct-08 11:27:18

I guess I made that up. I mean the commotion.

BitOfFun Mon 27-Oct-08 11:33:50

or kerfuffle....

sunnygirl1412 Mon 27-Oct-08 11:40:12

Great word, Creole - can I use it please?

Do you know the neighbours at all? Perhaps you'll be able to stop for a casual chat in the street - and it would be normal then to ask how they are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: