Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So yet again it seems I have made a friend who is prettier and better at everything than me...

(103 Posts)
theSuburbanDryad Fri 24-Oct-08 19:31:01

I know I should be grateful that I'm at least meeting people and they want to be friends (or, well, she says she does anyway hmm) but I've just been looking at her facebook pictures and she is really really pretty, her dh is pretty fit too (i don't fancy him - I'm being objective) her children are divinely cute, her wedding pictures look like they had the perfect ceremony and her friends are all "the beautiful people" IYSWIM.

And yes - I do realise that people only put the "nice" pictures up of themselves - but even the pictures her friends have put up are of her and them looking beautiful and serene. Whereas the pictures my friends put up of me are me lapping up a pint of Guinness hmm looking dead rough and so on (I don't mind, I think it's quite funny in a way).

I didn't really know where to post this - in mental health (but it's not really a MH issue) or in Chat (because I know it's really a blatant attention seeking load of crap!) or AIBU - to think my friends are all prettier and more successful than me?

Pathetic, aren't I? hmm

I have the same issue.

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:32:00

Add me to your fb that will make you feel better. grin

twinsetandpearls Fri 24-Oct-08 19:33:33

No I think we all think like that, or I do anyway. I have just stopped letting it bother me. I am happy with my life and no longer compare myself to anyone else.

I had a moment like that earlier as both my sisters are on facebook and I know that their friends will look at our pictures and wonder why two beautiful girls can have such a fat minger for a sister.

twinsetandpearls Fri 24-Oct-08 19:33:53

I was going to say the same ledodogy.

theSuburbanDryad Fri 24-Oct-08 19:34:13

Flame - you can't have the same issue, because you're one of the friends who is prettier and more successful than me!! angry

I know that it's (mostly) in my head...I just look at these pics and think, "I wonder what it would be like to have a perfect life...?"

twinsetandpearls Fri 24-Oct-08 19:34:59

pmsl at you are one of the friends! grin

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:35:02

Yes but NO_ONE has the perfect life. Appearances can be very deceptive.

mazzystartled Fri 24-Oct-08 19:35:25

she is prob looking at you and thinking same

bucksmum Fri 24-Oct-08 19:35:26

Hey I'm your friend and I am most dysfunctional person around at the moment!!

I was rating you higher than me, so we probably work out about even wink

The friend I was with today - I have seen her near breakdown and yet she still always looks better than me envy.

UnfortunatelyMurderedMe Fri 24-Oct-08 19:36:39

Hold on a second, if her lifes so great how come shes got all this time on her hands to put it on facebookhmm grin

I am at an all time low for self esteem atm. Dunno about you or if you are always like it <pokes out tongue>

Liffey Fri 24-Oct-08 19:38:18

twinset, you go on like you are a minger all the time!!!, so I just had a look at your photo, and to my amazement you have beautiful colouring, lovely brown eyes which are really wideset, a perfectly symetrical face, full lips and glossy dark beautiful hair.

ANDDDDD I don't know what age you are but you don't look a day over 30 so you're young too!!!

theSuburbanDryad Fri 24-Oct-08 19:39:32

<<ponders>> this is true Bucks! wink

I dunno...I think I just feel crappy at the moment cause my pelvis is being held together with a tubigrip (or it feels like it anyway) my hair is a farking disaster (although at least I don't look like Mrs McCluskey - just her ugly sister!) and my skin is appallingly bad AND AND AND i have spent the day being unable to eat ANYTHING that doesn't give me hideous heartburn and make me throw up.

Grr...

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:39:55

I think the same about you Twinset you have that beautiful dewy complexio big dark eyes and shiny hair thing going on! Flame you look fab as well!

The profile pic is not "me" - tis the one and only pic of me I like wink

theSuburbanDryad Fri 24-Oct-08 19:43:34

Well - she clearly has all this time because she's so successful at juggling her time and her perfect dh helps out with the childcare and housework. hmm

twinsetandpearls Fri 24-Oct-08 19:44:42

Liffey if you met my sisters you would understand, my role in the family and with my friends has to be the waddling ugly duckling.

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:45:04

ahh but you are on my fb Flame so i've seen others!

thegreatescape Fri 24-Oct-08 19:47:13

I have always hated pictures of myself - I am 'average' looking, not particularly pretty but not offensive. I always think i look much worse in photos. However, recently gathered together all the worst photos of myself over the years (was teenager in the 80s so you can imagine) and posted them all on my facebook site. This was mainly a response to all the flattering (and sometimes professionally done) photos many others have used.

It was actually really liberating! I also had the satisfaction of knowing i had posted photos that people actually wanted to see and had probably brightened up their day at work - I would really recommend it! grin

theSuburbanDryad Fri 24-Oct-08 19:47:41

I look mental.

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:48:29

One of my friend's little sisters tagged me and her sis in a photo on fb from when I was 9 with a bowl haircut (thanks mum!) and goofy teeth. grin

lou33 Fri 24-Oct-08 19:49:55

thats a great pic

ledodgy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:50:40

You don't look mental you just look like you're enjoying your pint! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now