Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mum in Law wont come to Christening!

(11 Posts)
Spongebob Sun 06-Mar-05 21:29:50

Just wanted peoples views on the following:- Since my DS was born in July04, my mil and I have been at loggerheads, her critisism and negative comments etc. have driven me to loath having her visit us. Thats another story though! The thing that is bugging me is that we have arranged to have DS Christened next month and she has refused to attend! TBH I dont give a hoot on my part but feel so upset for DP (who says he dosen't care but I know he does)Her reason for this is that she thinks we are hypocrites for having our son baptised when we don't attend Church on Sundays!

pixiefish Sun 06-Mar-05 21:33:27

IMO you don't have to attend church to believe in God. Having your son Christened is having him accepted into God's family.

What a horrid old bag your MIL sounds.

No advice just sympathy as I don't get on with mine either

Evesmama Sun 06-Mar-05 21:35:21

F**K HER!!
Sorry, but had the same problem with my mil and when she eventually came , she totally ruined the day
its YOUR child and YOU will do whatever YOU deem nessecary for your son
what a horrible horrible person

Cod Sun 06-Mar-05 21:36:39

Message withdrawn

Spongebob Sun 06-Mar-05 21:40:48

Glad you all feel the same as I do! I am a religious person but believe that Christianity is in the street! and that you dont necessarily have to go to Church to be a good Christian. Even if she felt strongly about this (which I dont think she does anyway, shes just being awkward) could she not put her feelings aside and just come to support her son? who wont have anyone there from his side of the family at all? I feel like saying something to her, but DP says leave it!

pixiefish Sun 06-Mar-05 21:44:11

I know a lot of people who go to church every sunday and break quite a few of the commandments during the week. Personally i try to live my life according to the commandments ven though I don't go to church every sunday.
I have had dd christened and will start going to chapel again when she's old enough to come with me and go to sunday school but at the moment i can't take her as she's at that awkward age for sitting still

WestCountryLass Sun 06-Mar-05 21:48:13

Well thats her loss then, silly mare.

jasper Sun 06-Mar-05 21:49:02

Why are you having your son baptised? I ask because I am genuinely curious why anyone does this far less someone who does not go to church.
I do attend church but have not had my three baptised - don't really understand what it is all about so hoping you can explain!

Realise this has nothing at all to do with your mil

Evesmama Sun 06-Mar-05 21:50:02

we even invited my dp's two aunties who didnt even know dd existed to please his mother and so she wouldnt feel on her own.
he was also embarresed about his lack of family as my family and friends took up the church, but you cant 'make' good family can you?, unfortunatly, we get what were given but in our case, we refuse to accept her and dont see her at all now(BTW, she didnt so much as bring a card to dd's christening!)

Spongebob Sun 06-Mar-05 22:01:39

My personal reasons for having DS baptised are to thank God for his gift of life and to show that on behalf of my son I believe in God and intend to bring him up as a good Christian.

bibiboo Tue 08-Mar-05 22:09:19

I'm with you spongebob. I believe that everyone's religions are individual and personal to them and they go with them, wherever they are, not just when they attend a dedicated place of worship.
We are not a religious family, but the beliefs, morals and ethics we do have are in our minds and our hearts, not in a book, or a building or anywhere else.
I feel dorry for your dp too, must be awful for him, but it really is her problem. Easy for me to say eh, after my rants about MIL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now