Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mother just cut ds's hair (very badly)

(21 Posts)
bobbybob Sat 05-Mar-05 22:49:45

My mum and dad stay with us 3 times a year and on a Sunday morning they practically throw us out of the house to a cafe while they take ds to the beach.

Got home today to see a lumpy and wispy mess on top of ds's head and him sporting a "I've had a haircut sticker". She makes a big play out of asking whether we like his hair cut at which point I'm afraid I said "no, he looks ridiculous, it's not even, it's too short, except over his ears where is is exactly the same." She has stormed off.

Would be Sunday wouldn't it!

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 22:53:19

Did she ask permission to cut it!?

sansouci Sat 05-Mar-05 22:54:05

How dare she? I'd be fuming. Let her storm off & hope she blows far away.

SPARKLER1 Sat 05-Mar-05 22:55:02

I would have gone ballistic. I can't believe that she didn't get the okay from you first.

HunkerMunker Sat 05-Mar-05 22:56:10

Oh bloody hell, Bobbybob! I guess if she can't get him off the boob and on a potty, the least she can do is hack his hair to bits

Do hers while she's asleep, then shout 'SURPRISE!' with a big grin on your face when she wakes up

Seriously, hun - hope you can even it up a bit.

wispykitty Sat 05-Mar-05 22:56:20

let me in on the secrest girls, Ds and DH what are the abreviatons for

SPARKLER1 Sat 05-Mar-05 22:57:14

Wispy go into Acronym List and you'll find them all there.

HunkerMunker Sat 05-Mar-05 22:57:49

dear/darling son/husband, etc. There's an acronym list at the top of the page.

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 23:00:38

HM!! You're at it again!
(We STILL don't know if she asked permission beforehand!)

wispykitty Sat 05-Mar-05 23:03:20

thankyu i am so silly xx

CarrieG Sat 05-Mar-05 23:12:20

FIL's partner did this to SIL's eldest (he had long blond ringlets at the age of 6 or so & this HUGELY bothered her, apparently, so she seized her chance eventually when babysitting) - it's one of the main justifications used by dh/SIL/their other siblings when discussing how much they dislike this woman!

FIL's ladyfriend is a bit of a fruitloop admittedly, but I still think it's a completely out of order thing to do to someone else's child - I'd be absolutely livid.

Elf1981 Sat 05-Mar-05 23:13:57

Bobbybob, bad that your ma didn't ask permission to cut DS hair.

When my child is born I shall be removing all scissors from relatives houses. I've had far too many bad experiences of family members cutting my hair and making a pigs ear out of it... mostly before school picture days as well.

My goddaughter recently decided to cut own her hair with child scissors. How she managed it I don't know as I cant even cut paper with the damn things, but she managed to cut her fringe off. Uneven, rather short and totally unfixable. Not even a headband hides it!

bobbybob Sun 06-Mar-05 00:18:50

no permission, just did it.

used clippers so he only had about .5 cm for 2 inches bach from fringe and then his normal curls.

found a hairdresser and now looks just like his dad, no 3 all over. only thing they could do.

bob made a card for her while he was waiting, when he gave it to her (taken to her bed) she just rolled over. ds can't understand whst he has done wrong.

HunkerMunker Sun 06-Mar-05 00:20:43

FGS! Poor BabyBobbyBob

When is she going home? (Sorry, hun, I know she's your mum, but she does sound very childish)

How's the forced potty training/anti-breastfeeding going? Read your post re granny's nipples being next to her stomach (out of the mouth of babes or what?!) and pmsl

bobbybob Sun 06-Mar-05 00:47:52

Glad you saw that HM. She has tried a couple of cheap shots about breastfeeding, but you don't bf a child for 2 years and not develop a very thick skin. I have just ignored her, and found she doesn't even irritate me when she goes on and on about it.

Potty training - as predicted she can't actually be arsed reading all 26 Thomas the Tank Engine stories on a tiny plastic chair in the toilet whilst bob talks about putting his penis in the bucket.

But this haircut thing - she is saying I agreed so she is clearly delusional. I think the currect taking to her bed is more that she doesn't want to go to my MIL tonight for tea, and any excuse will do.

HunkerMunker Sun 06-Mar-05 00:54:33

Bob sounds absolutely delightful, Bobbybob

Penis in a bucket...pmsl!

Have you thought about cutting your mum's hair (or letting Bob do it? That would be fair )

bobbybob Sun 06-Mar-05 00:57:29

Bob is very funny, and utterly refuses to takes sides. I love him for that.

bobbybob Mon 07-Mar-05 00:08:03

OMG, 24 hours later and she is still off on one. She's gone delusional. Apprently I ruined mothers day, I hate everything she does, she going home as soon as she can (no sign of ringing the airline or anything). She moans because we have not got out and then won't come when we do.

She did come to inlaws last night, but only so she could tell them how bad tempered I was.

But comment of the week must surely go to: "Oh that hairstyle makes him look so much older - you can't carry on breastfeeding him". My own mother mutilated my son's blond curls to try to get me to stop breastfeeding. What planet does she live on where that is

a) Acceptable
b) Going to work?

bubbly1973 Mon 07-Mar-05 00:14:30

i would be absolutely livid if anyone cut my ds's hair without asking me, especially his first cut!!

i cut his first lot of hair, and kept a lock of his hair in a little keepsake bag

your mother sounds childish in the way she is behaving, i wonder if theres underlying issues with her, something from her own childhood perhaps?

when is she leaving?

bobbybob Mon 07-Mar-05 00:16:32

This is not his first haircut - he has lots of hair and it will grow back quickly. He is 2.

Another 2 weeks until she goes.

Her mum died when she was 17 and so she has no role model for being a grandparent. I was always forced to have stupid pudding bowl pageboys, so maybe she just really likes bad hairstyles.

bubbly1973 Mon 07-Mar-05 00:22:27

ah i see, not as bad as if she cut his first ever hair cut, but still bad that she did it without asking...

mind you, its very hard to cut little childrens hair, i remember getting rather annoyed when dh didnt like the cut i gave ds ...yeh like he could do any better!

but i can give him a bad hair cut cos im his mother!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now