Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Partner has left MIL - shocked - advice please

(4 Posts)
Cosmogirl Mon 13-Oct-08 12:33:02

Just after some advice. Partner of MIL of 11 years has just told her he is leaving her. It has come completely out of the blue to MIL. He said he loves her but is not 'in love' with her. He has tried for a few months to change the way he feels but cannot, so it is over. We were all really shocked and did not see it coming. He has never been the best communicator but not to share how he was feeling has meant that this came as a bolt out of the blue for MIL.

Is it common for a man just to do this - or do you think there could be more to it? Maybe he has met someone else?

Also, wondering what is the right thing to say and do when I see him....Part of me is so angry but it is not really any of my business. Saying 'I am sorry to hear the news' is all I can think of to say, but that seems a bit pathetic.

Any advice/experience appreciated. Thanks x

Cosmogirl Mon 13-Oct-08 13:28:37

bump

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 13-Oct-08 13:30:30

Dont know. Its a difficult situation all round. Have a similar situation going on myself and not sure how to deal with it. Sorry.

Cosmogirl Mon 13-Oct-08 15:15:44

Thanks. Sorry you are experiencing a similar scenario. It is really tough because you feel so helpless. I just don't know what to think of MIL's exp. Part of me is angry that he didn't give them a chance to work on their problems. Why so final? Whatever happened to working through difficulties? I guess that is what is making me think maybe he has someone else...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now