Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I have had enough of DH having to be ill if I am

(3 Posts)
TheProvincialLady Fri 03-Oct-08 17:44:38

It has always been the same. If I am ill, DH has to be ill as well - sometimes genuinely but mainly just self pity IMO. It has got to the point where I hardly have any sympathy at all when he IS ill.

This week I have been really ill with a UTI (am 6m pregnant) and spent the day in hospital with the worry that it might bring on early labour. Thank God everything is okay there but I am still pretty weak and have had to look after DS today as there was no one who could help out. It is the first time I have been out of bed since Sunday and it was hard but we got through it.

My parents are coming over for the day tomorrow to take DS out so that I can rest. Now DH is whinging that no one is coming on Sunday to take care of US (not me). He has diarrhoea, probably brought on by all the stress of the week, and it has been a rough time for both of us - but I get so sick of the attention having to be deflected onto him in some way. He is not ill and I don't get why he even wants to be treated like an invalid - I hate it personally and would much rather be up and doing things than stuck in bed but we are so different in attitude.

Anway, this is just a rant and probably a mean spirited one at that because he has looked after me this week and insisted I rest etc. But why do men do this?

ByTheSea Fri 03-Oct-08 17:47:06

I can totally relate. This is probably the thing about my DH that annoys me most, as he is pretty good in most other ways.

TheProvincialLady Fri 03-Oct-08 17:52:54

Yes mine too. He is a great husband in almost every other way, but this drives me spare. I think it is partly the way he was brought up - his whole family fuss and pander each other ridiculously over the most minor illness and they all take to their beds over the slightest colds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now