Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Left out by 2 mums - bit sad.

(11 Posts)
figleaf Tue 01-Mar-05 23:50:30

Went to national curriculum talk at sons school today, (literacy) it is the 2nd of 5 but I missed last week. 2 mums who I dont really get on with were there and I felt were being loud and overly happy (in a forced kind of way) so as to underline how much fun they were having. They answered questions loudly, contradicted me over definitions of words etc and generally made me feel like I was 11 again and not a member of the "in" crowd.

I dont really want to go next week but do want the info that the course is intended to deliver. Not sure if I should take the bull by the horns and do something mad like sit next to one of them and force them to work with me or sculk at the edges of the room and try to avoid eye contact/conflict situations. (NB Only 7 of us on the course)

Any ideas?

1980louisiana Wed 02-Mar-05 00:10:53

Bloody bitches! Sorry but i hate people like that. If it was me cos im shy id probably not go back but i think if you really want to do this course then go for it. Them women sound really childish i dread to think what their children are like!

popadopalis Wed 02-Mar-05 00:16:27

Don't let them win. Go back and get the info you want. They are sad and pathetic and obviously lack any real intelligence. I would sit next to them just because it will really annoy them. They will either have to work with you or blatantly show they don't want to which will make them look really foolish and immature in front of everyone. You'll feel better if you don't let them scare you away. Hope this helps.

moondog Wed 02-Mar-05 00:17:35

I'm not shy and I'd definitely be back, but of course I know that everyone isn't like me.
Figleaf are you sure you're not reading too much into it? I doubt that many people are unkind enough to alienate someone like this deliberately. When you are on a course, it's easy to assume that others have teamed up. It is in fact not that common. I run a lot of courses and realised this a long time ago.Some people are merely outgoing and will have a laugh with whoever is sitting by them.

You MUST continue with it!!! Don't let this beat you! Is there someone else you could sit by.Isn't there a middle ground between the two approaches you suggest.

You could do what I do and take a newspaper/book in with you to read before the work proper begins.
(It's the only time I get a bit of peace to read!)

Sorry that you are feeling like this.

marthamoo Wed 02-Mar-05 00:22:35

You go back! I would bet you anything that the other people on the course feel exactly the same as you. I bet they all went home to their other halves and said "God...there were two really annoying women there tonight...wouldn't shut up...contradicting everything."

You underestimate others if you think everyone else there liked these two objectionable cows!

Go back, get what you need from this course and stand your ground. You will come across far better than they do, believe me.

figleaf Wed 02-Mar-05 12:54:12

I will go back and see how it all goes, thanks all.

amynnixmum Wed 02-Mar-05 13:00:56

I agree with what the others have said - especially marthamoo's comments about what the others thought of these 2 women. i have been on loads of courses and I usually keep quite quiet to start with while I suss everyone else out. The last course I was on there was a really annoying man but noone really said anything about it until the 3rd session when we had got to know each other a bit - it turned out that he was bugging everyone else too.

figleaf Tue 08-Mar-05 15:49:34

I went to the course again today, much better than last week. More people turned up and because of the seating arrangement the loud mums couldn`t work together so things were much less excluding for me (and possibly others too).

Thanks to all the mums who told me to go back.

pixiefish Tue 08-Mar-05 15:51:50

Am glad. Serve them right that they were split up.

marthamoo Tue 08-Mar-05 15:55:09

Excellent. Good on you for going back, figleaf

psychomum5 Tue 08-Mar-05 15:56:48

you go girl....and if they get obnoxious, do what I do...shout louder!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: