Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

First night out with DH in 12 months. Need inspiration please! LittleLapin - I'm sensing I need you on this thread!

(59 Posts)
Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 11:13:43

So that last year has been a bit tough. My father died, my husband was made redundant, got a job, then lost it four months later...when DS was only a few weeks old. Same old credit crunch mortgage problems that everyones having have put us £400 in a month worse off, blah blah blah.

Anyway. DH and I have soldiered on through, as you do. Co-parenting always, finding moments to be husband and wife very rarely. We are very much in love, but feel a bit desperate at the distance circumstances often put between us emotionally.

Anyway, my mum is finally feeling a bit stronger, and has offered us a night of babysitting. Dh doesn't know yet - it's going to be a surprise. I need some inspiration as to what to do. Money is an issue, but could spend up to about £60. I don't want to do cinema because we need to talk. A nice meal would be good, but somewhere romantic might be too expensive?

We're in West London. Any suggestions for putting together the perfect night?

littlelapin Tue 30-Sep-08 11:27:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 12:17:19

Yes, you! Thanks for popping over. Barnes probably a bit far out. We're Chiswick/Sheps Busy environs.

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 30-Sep-08 12:24:13

Why not spend a few quid on getting a really nice picnic basket together with some gorgeous cold food, and drive out to somewhere with a nice view. It'll be dark so you can do the talking thing without feeling uncomfortable, and it'll be nice and cosy in the car.

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 12:26:14

oh, I love that idea dogs and cats! Am thinking if we do something along those lines, then maybe afterwards, when we are all lovey dovey and cosy again, we could probably go to the cinema and see something really funny or romantic afterwards. hmm, wonder what's on. <trundles off to google odeon>>

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 30-Sep-08 12:28:28

Sounds good!

artichokes Tue 30-Sep-08 12:58:57

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 13:04:41

Oh bless you Artichoke, will have a look at those now.

Miyazaki Tue 30-Sep-08 13:07:07

I have v fond memories of the Anglesea Arms...

mrsbabookaloo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:10:36

Artichokes, I was going to say The Gate as well! it's yummy and feels special: it's not like a caff!

Sycamore tree hope you have a lovely time and re-ignite the spark!

artichokes Tue 30-Sep-08 13:13:22

DH and I had our first date at the Gate.

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 13:23:16

Ooh, now I can't decide. DH does love a good curry, and both these are really near to us. But we'd both probably enjoy the idea of a veggie restaurant too - it's something different I suppose, and it looks lovely.

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:25:02

The Swan in Chiswick

here

Bit more expensive but lovely location

pissaros

Or any number of places on Chiswick High Road!

Have a great evening

artichokes Tue 30-Sep-08 13:25:17

Indian Zing has a nice room, its not like your average Indian (although its not uber posh either).

We must live very close to one another smile.

JuneBugJen Tue 30-Sep-08 13:25:40

Or perhaps doing the whole Comedy Club thing. Went to one with DH recently and it was way more romantic than sitting across from each other gazing into each others eyes as we had the best laugh. You still get to have a good chat but it was fun as well.
The food was pub grub-ish but good.
Just thinking laterally!

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 13:27:04

Ha Ha Housewife, you would ROFL if you knew how close to The Swan we are - we'd literally have to fall out of our front door and be there - agree, food is FAB.

Have tried to book Pissaros in the past at late notice and not had much joy. The babysit is in place for tomorrow night. Can you request a view of the river? Or do all tables have a nice view?

CountessDracula Tue 30-Sep-08 13:29:47

Le Vacherin at the bottom of Acton Lane is great

CountessDracula Tue 30-Sep-08 13:31:29

here

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 13:33:50

Ooh yes Countess, lovely Fois Gras, but alas too expensive for current financial situation. Have not been in since it had it's swanky makeover....which was a while ago now!

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 30-Sep-08 14:04:10

We must almost be neighbours then.

Can see The Swan from dc's bedroom window!

The Pilot is supposed to be good- Wellesley Road?

The Hole in the Wall or The Devonshire?

I know, I know, these are all pubs!

Balans or Carvosso on high road?

The best view of the river from Pissaro would be in the conservatory, I think, but if it's cold and damp, inside is best if they have the fire lit.

OOh, Annie's on Strand on the Green is lovely.

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 14:18:08

Do you know what, i have been thinking and thinking about Annies - have never been, and it's probably too ££ for us right now, but I'm tempted to think F it - we need something lovely right now.

Just been to the devonshire with my mum to cheer her up. There was a baby crawling round the tables all night hmm but the food was great.

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 14:20:26

and small virtual world isn't it Desperate? ! You realise I'm going to start talking to you about schools any minute now don't you? grin

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 30-Sep-08 15:07:50

Oh goodness. Don't look at another thread I'm on then regarding schools. You'll think I'm mad!

Isn't Pissaros more expensive than Annie's?

What about The Bollo?

anniemac Tue 30-Sep-08 16:42:56

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 17:04:11

Don't know about Pissaro's - have never been there. I don't know why but the sign has always made me think it wasn't that classy! Am increasingly drawn to Annies - have been to their sister fish restaurant in Chiswick with my mum - can't remember it's name but it's down Grove Park way. Nice, bit cramped but good food and pretty.

Love the Bollo, but we used to go there all the time when we lived just by the tube station, pre kids etc. It always seems so quiet when I go by it these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now