Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you trust a new partner after being cheated on in a previous relationship??

(3 Posts)
odearyme Thu 25-Sep-08 12:58:38

Thats it really, spent 5 years in an abusive relationship with a serial cheater. Now have a new partner, but getting panicky waiing for the same thing to happen. Is there anything I can do to stop feeling like this??

Elasticwoman Thu 25-Sep-08 15:20:56

I would not commit to new partner until reasonably certain he was not likely to cheat. That means knowing his background, history, values and character very well. it means knowing what he desires from a relationship and what he is prepared to give. Also, look at your previous relationship and ask yourself what clues to his promiscuity were there before you took him on.

HappyWoman Thu 25-Sep-08 15:51:33

I think all you can do is try and enjoy it for now and try not to think long term. Afterall none of really knows what is in store in the future.

I am not sure i will ever trust anyone as fully again - but i will trust myself, and know that i can be happy alone too. This i know is easier said than done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now