Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just found out.........

(13 Posts)
trinityrocks Thu 24-Feb-05 08:18:04

My hubby is having to go away (he's in the Navy) from June till December. I will be able to speak to him periodically because they will be docking in various places round the world (he's on submarines so I can't talk to him whilst they are at sea!!) but our second baby is due on April the third and I'm scared about how I will cope once he goes. My Mum is coming to visit to help for a month or so just before the birth and after for a bit ( she lives about 450 miles away from me) and My hubby does have 2 weeks paternity leave but when they have gone I'm really scared I'm going to collapse.
I also feel really sad for my hubby, he is going to miss out on 6 months of his babies life. He didn't see our first daughter for three weeks but then after that he didn't go away for a long time and we lived close enough to the base so that he came home every night! A cynical friend of mine said" don't worry about him, he's probably thinking "Oh good, no bloody nappies and sleepless nights" but my hubby never felt like that about our first baby, he's not that kind of person, It was tough but we got through it and he always mucked in and did nappies and things without complaint. oh babble babble sorry

nailpolish Thu 24-Feb-05 08:20:43

hi, i dont have any advice sorry just wanted to say thats good your mum is coming down but its such a shame about your dh. if you pop into the army wives thread im really sure they will have some wise words for you - maybe some of them have dealt with this themselves.

all the best of luck with the new baby!

throckenholt Thu 24-Feb-05 08:23:43

you will figure out a routine that fits you. A friend whose DH was posted for months at a time said she almost found it easier when he was away because she could do things her way without interference .

How old is your first dd ? Will she cope without daddy being around - does she understand ?

trinityrocks Thu 24-Feb-05 08:28:13

My first DD is 5, she understands quite well but it does upset her. I know what you mean about getting on with out interfernce but he is such a help and he makes me feel confident when hes with me. I have a history of depression (still on the meds right now actually) and he helps me to look forward.

Nailpolish, where is the army wives thread??????
I'm sure it will help!
Thanks for your replies

nailpolish Thu 24-Feb-05 08:38:12

army wives thread

click on the link!

morningmayhem Thu 24-Feb-05 08:39:47

Its here

morningmayhem Thu 24-Feb-05 08:40:27

Beat me to it!

nailpolish Thu 24-Feb-05 08:46:56

throckenholt Thu 24-Feb-05 09:16:05

trinityrocks - I would hate it if my DH was away for months on end as well. But I guess it is part of the life you take on when you marry someone in the services. Is there no support provided by the navy?

munnzieb Thu 24-Feb-05 09:21:22

TR (((((hugs))))) my DH is away at the mo as well, (thankfully we're nr the end of his tour)

at least u'll have ur mum to chat to, and you can speak to him regually. at us lot on MN are always here for u! (we've started a thread off in u wanna have a moan about the militry! lol)

i'll bump it back up for you.

munnzieb Thu 24-Feb-05 09:22:36

oh ppl have done it already a link for you. we're nice! even thou JM/I ahve taken it over! lol.

are there many other DH's going away? I find that often helps if there's a few of u who can have a brew together/ bottle of wine.

SeaShells Thu 24-Feb-05 09:35:12

Might be nice to make a big scrapbook for him, and keep absolutely everything in it about the new baby and their progress, all the little things that he might miss, so even though he won't be there, he'll be able to read it and feel like he was IYKWIM.

anorak Thu 24-Feb-05 09:49:44

Have you been to any mumsnet meet-ups? If you join one in your local area you can widen your circle of mums for a bit of extra support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now