Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Need tips for conflict resolution with DH

(4 Posts)
chilledmama Fri 12-Sep-08 09:39:14

Things have been getting progressivly worse in our marriage. I'm not happy, I can't DH is happy either!
I wrote him a letter to try to start things moving forward towards...not sure but hopefully a better marriage and us being together but I appreciate it may go the other way. I have accepted though that even that would be a step forward.

I am not good at communicating in RL...easy to hide behind MN name. DH isn't brilliant at it either. We are going to sit down tonight and start to talk but I have concerns that we will end up arguing and everything will just get worse.

Any tips on how to defuse situations and general conflict resolution?????
Any/all help appreciated.

ilovemydog Fri 12-Sep-08 09:46:35

set out the 'ground rules' such as:

1. no interupting
2. no sarcasm/general statements - i.e. you always say that...
3. set a time - say, 20 minutes that you will talk. Then 'end of meeting...'
4. Use lots of 'we' - as in 'how can we resolve 'x'.
5. Stick to specific topics. Such as, care of the children. Instead of, 'you are such a lazy sod...' rephrase, 'I need more help with the day to day stuff...'

smile

chilledmama Fri 12-Sep-08 09:50:03

Thank you Ilovemydog.

I definately like the timebound thing.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 13-Sep-08 22:00:48

How did you get on? I need advice on this too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now