Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Flowers & chocolates - how long is does your post-prezzie irritability amnesty last?

(9 Posts)
snigger Thu 11-Sep-08 09:34:51

Obviously, you've probably all got ideal relationships where the thoughtful gifts and compliments flow unchecked, and your affections can't be bought, but in Sniggers dysfunctional world of mutual recrimination and one-sided harangues on the nature of love and respect, DH will usually heft his carcass to the flower shop only on the realisation he's been a prize mule.

So, two weeks ago, an opportunity arose for DH to abase himself and sidle bashfully into the house bearing gifts and muttering 'I didn't know it would bug you that much'.

Yesterday, I had to point out to him that in my world, there is a shelf-life to the feelgood factor engendered by such acts of consideration.

For me, it's roughly:

Flowers - 7 days general goodwill, or up to 10 'mentions' (you know, the "Do you like your flowers, then", just after you've pointedly placed the hoover in his hand)

Chocolates - Two days forgiveness if he doesn't eat any, three hours if he does.

Jewellery - Beautific glowing smiles and peace to all men, not just him, for, ooh, at least a month, with occasional resurrections of cheer when said item is actually worn.

So, as DH feels a gift of repentance should keep on giving, am I alone in my materialism?

Can you be bought? How long for? grin

snigger Thu 11-Sep-08 10:42:24

Oh God, it is just me, then grin

BalloonSlayer Thu 11-Sep-08 10:59:42

How about this though . . .

My DH always buys carnations, and I can't stand them.

I know why he gets them - they're cheap

So he doesn't get any real gratitude or credit for those. I reckon he's lucky not to get "oh not bloody carnations again, tell you what, YOU can throw the green water away this time and see if that stops you buying them."

(Oh and he didn't get any gratitude when he bought me some flowers on holiday. He looked genuinely startled when I said I wasn't sure the holiday home had got a vase. It hadn't crossed his mind.)

Do I win an award for the most ungrateful recipient?

TwoWindyDays Thu 11-Sep-08 11:12:29

snigger Thu 11-Sep-08 11:21:45

Carnations, chrysanthemums (sp?) and orange flowers of any variety are Not Going To Make The Situation Any Better in our house grin.

Why did he have to buy you flowers on holiday? (Intrigued...)

MerlinsBeard Thu 11-Sep-08 11:23:53

at least you get giftshmm

BalloonSlayer Thu 11-Sep-08 11:26:05

Oh he hadn't done anything wrong.

He was just being nice.

But why you need flowers in your holiday home I don't know exactly. It all looks different to what you're used to anyway, so you don't need the "oh, something looks/smells different" effect you get from flowers at home.

[ungrateful emoticon]

wuzzlefraggle Thu 11-Sep-08 11:32:33

BalloonSlayer, I see your ungrateful emoticon and raise you my ungrateful emoticon when dh bought me Atonement on DVD... (I'm more of a scarface/goodfellas/krays/lock stock type of girl lol)

hmm

didn't have the heart to tell him though. It was valentines day lol

still haven't watched it....

snigger Thu 11-Sep-08 12:39:12

You're right, you're an ingrate grin

MoM, you're obviously not half the nagging harpy I am blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now