Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

dd's great-grandad was just at my door, and its with great sadness i relaised that dd's have no idea who he is

(13 Posts)
misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:38

thank goodness they have a great relationship with my parents and peters parents.

my grandaprents are not involved in our lives or my sisters lives at all. they dont see us, we dont see them, unless soemthing 'forces' us to iykwim. my grandad was just at my door as he was doing door to door work with the jehovahs witnesses, other than that we dont see them at all.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 16:25:10

did you talk to him ?

misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 16:26:38

yes.

i do talk to them when i see them.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 16:28:26

is there a reason for them not being in your lives ? It's great that your dcs have contact with their grandparents though. My ds was only 2 when my grandma died, the last remaining great grandparent - I often talk to him about her.

Mercy Wed 10-Sep-08 16:28:49

Can you tell us why they don't have involvement in your lives?

misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 16:32:06

tbh i really dont know why anymore. they werenmt involved as we were growing up, and just never been there although live close. i used to take dd1 to see them when she was a baby, but always felt uncomfortable i na strange way.

Twiglett Wed 10-Sep-08 16:32:17

were you the equivalent of ex-communicated for not being JW enough?

misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 16:33:18

oh i am worldly twiglett grin

was never baptised, but when we were growing up my grandparents were disfellowshipped.

Twiglett Wed 10-Sep-08 16:34:20

so did you invite him in or not? did he only want to talk about god or did he want to kindle a relatinship?

misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 16:36:36

he was just doorknocking twiglett. they dont pop round for a cuppa, or for a chat.

he sat outside SGK house once in his car waiting for other JW's and wouldnt go into hers either.

wannaBe Wed 10-Sep-08 16:39:04

my ds has no idea who his great grandparents are either.

DH's nan lives in a home and has severe clinical depression and refuses to communicate and has major panic attacks, so imo visiting would not be a wise move which is a shame as before she got ill she was lovely sad, and my nan I haven't seen for about three years.

I only vaguely remember my great grandmothers on both my mum and dad's side - my ggm on dad's side died when I was about 6 but on my mum's side she didn't die till I was a teenager and she was 97, but we only visited once a year and neither of them really "did" children so we were expected to be seen and not heard.

Mercy Wed 10-Sep-08 16:40:53

Have you talked to your parents about this?

misdee Wed 10-Sep-08 16:43:06

yeah they know.

am just so glad that my girls are experiencing a reltionship witrh their grandparents that i never had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now