Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Oh sugar, what do I do now?

(10 Posts)
overtoyou Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:55

Or do I need to do anything?

A male colleague has just said "you're beautiful and it annoys me that you don't realise it"

He's someone I have worked with for a few years and we get along in the way that you do with people you work with, but he is a colleague, not a friend IYSWIM.

I can't remember exactly how it came about, but something was said about how attractive another colleague is and I said something derogatory about myself.

I don't think I'm ugly BTW, I'd just prefer to be respected at work for something other than my looks (which are fairly ordinary in any case)

It was quite a sweet thing to say and if he was a woman, I'd take it at face value and just think she was being nice, but......?

Alambil Mon 08-Sep-08 14:17:50

take it as a compliment; don't read too much into it - why's it so different because a bloke said it?

I rekon he meant "stop putting yourself down, there's no need" rather than "Phwoar, you're lovely - that's why you got the job"

maybe?

Ronaldinhio Mon 08-Sep-08 14:19:42

Sounds hmm
If you'd prefer to be respected at work for something other than your looks why are you commenting on someone else's looks?
Fishing for compliments?
Anyway you got one, so bask in it's glow and go trawling for some others tomorrow grin

squeaver Mon 08-Sep-08 14:21:25

It's an odd thing for someone who's not a friend or family member to say (even if it was a woman). BUT I think Lewis is right and you should take it as a compliment and allow yourself a little spring in your step.

FGS, don't analyse everything he says to you from now on. That way, madness lies!

overtoyou Mon 08-Sep-08 14:43:09

Ronaldinhio - I wasn't discussing her looks. He was. Actually he was being unkind to the man who appointed her, as he feels her looks are her only virtue. I said someting along the lines of, well at least I know that's not why I'm here. Actually, that does sound like fishing blush but I didn't start it grin

NomDePlume Mon 08-Sep-08 14:45:02

Do nothing. Take it as a compliment and move on with your life !

NomDePlume Mon 08-Sep-08 14:46:00

unless of course you are single and see this as an open door to something more with this man (if that's what you want).

overtoyou Mon 08-Sep-08 14:47:43

Nom - NOOOO! We have both been married for something approaching 20 years. So, it's a particularly odd thing to say in view of my age.

captainmummy Tue 09-Sep-08 13:22:21

I went out for a drink with my builder on friday. He is the sort of blokey bloke who talks about women as either fat (she's f*ing enormous) or pretty (f*ing gorgeous!) and I asked, after a few, if he thought I was pretty. (yes I was fishing, no I don't fancy him) he just said he thought I had an 'alluring' personality. shock

Whatever that means. I chose to take it as a compliment,but it could go either way.

CarGirl Tue 09-Sep-08 14:00:54

sounds like your colleague has picked up on you putting yourself down and was commenting correctly. I certainly wouldn't see it as hitting on you, just accept it and take notice of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now