Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mums of boys: at what age do you stop getting naked/weeing etc in front of them?

(61 Posts)
DrNortherner Mon 08-Sep-08 13:02:05

As a mum of boys I'm sure we all bathe/wee/change tampax etc in front of them.

When to stop?

Dottydot Mon 08-Sep-08 13:05:28

Not yet! We've only got 1 bathroom so we're all in and out while others are showering, weeing etc. Ds1 is 7 in December and doesn't seem bothered, so as long as he isn't, I'm not!

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 13:07:55

Well, ds1 is 5 and I don't like being naked in front of him. I just don't. He still wanders in and out when I'm on the loo, but when I'm naked, he's such a 'fiddly' child he kept grabbing for my breasts which I find very icky and distressing. So I keep it covered now.

Plus, he once noticed that I'd shaved my pubes off and told everyone I was turning into a little girl again hmmangrygrin

VinegarTits Mon 08-Sep-08 13:09:14

I think ds1 was about 4 when he stopped getting in the bath with me, not sure about weeing though, probably once i didnt have to watch his every move, so probably stopped that before the getting in the bath together

foothesnoo Mon 08-Sep-08 13:13:07

DS is 8.5 and still sees me in the shower/ getting dressed etc. He has made a couple of comments about me being naked in the past but I say to him it's reasonable to expect I will be in the bathroom or my bedroom so he needs to knock first if he's bothered by it. He hasn't yet!

We have just put a lock on the bathroom door though so he can have some privacy if he wants.

TrinityRhino Mon 08-Sep-08 13:14:34

lol you lot are hgilarious
surelt its just when the boys start to feel uncomfortable with it andstop barging in of their own choice

Buda Mon 08-Sep-08 13:15:00

DS is 7 and I am about to stop getting naked as he keeps telling me I am fat! He is right though blush

Never did the tampax thing in front of him.

cheesesarnie Mon 08-Sep-08 13:16:54

when ds is no longer ok with it i guess.hes 7 and doesnt seem bothered-its not like i run round the house naked saying look at me.

gameboy Mon 08-Sep-08 13:18:38

DS1 is 8.5 and DS2 is 6 and I'm beginning to cover up a bit more around them, probably because DS1 seems to stare and it makes me feel less comfortable - I never used to worry.

They both also seem to have a particular fascination with my breasts - they like to cuddle between them etc (not naked though IYSWIM). DH thinks it's 'wrong' at this age - I just say that he hasn't changed in 42 years, so why should they? grin

Bridie3 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:21:07

My 11.5-year old still occasionally sometimes catches me naked and seems completely unbothered by it. He doesn't like me seeing HIM in the buff, though!

DrNortherner Mon 08-Sep-08 13:21:19

I was just wondering that's all. My ds is 6 and will happily chat to me whilst I am on the loo and in the bath.

I guess I'll wait till he becomes very concious of it.

misselizabethbennett Mon 08-Sep-08 13:25:37

DS is 6 and nakedness and weeing are still fine. Never done the Tampax thing though.

I think I'll know when he is embarrassed, so I guess I'll stop then. Can't see it being any time soon.

I like the fact that it can sometimes prompt him to ask questions, so he is learning about bodies and how they work bit by bit as he grows up, rather than having to save everything for a big 'birds and bees' conversation later

Imnotok Mon 08-Sep-08 13:29:13

My 10 year old isn't bothered if he walks past and i am in the bath or getting dressed but he does hate me seeing him naked .

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 13:31:03

my mum never stopped being naked in front of us (even now), even doing things like (cringe) tampax insertion whilst in the bedroom! loo door was (thankfully) always shut though.

norksinmywaistband Mon 08-Sep-08 13:40:38

We as a family were always naked in front of each other until I left home, as only one bathrom/toilet.
I can't imagine i would ever say right I'm going to start covering up in front of DS, If he becomes self concious I will take his lead though

Northumberlandlass Mon 08-Sep-08 13:44:57

Had to stop the tampax thing when DS was around 3 - as he came into the room one day trying to put one up his bum shock - he still had his clothes on though.

Like most people on here, we have one bathroom so he sees us naked quite regularly. He did comment about my big fat boobs....I quickly corrected him though "No, they are my big lovely boobs". DS is nearly 5 and we still have the odd bath together - last week he was fascinated with my nipples and where the milk came from. Don't have a problem with it all really.

xx

stirlingmum Mon 08-Sep-08 13:46:15

I hadn't actually thought about me covering up. I was more concerned with when ds and dd's should not see each other naked.

Ds (9), dd (7) and dd (4). They all still wander around naked in the house without a comment. I guess the dd's will start to cover up first.

I suppose when they walk in the bathroom and I am naked and they shout "eeuuugh! Gross Mum, Put some clothes on!!" - Then I will start locking the door grin

filthymindedvixen Mon 08-Sep-08 13:50:41

I don't do the tampax thing in front of them , but then I had to explain about periods etc to him for other reasons (plus, I got tired of retrieving mooncup from lego figures as a 'spacedome'

We all wander aroud with no clothes on etc but ds1 has started to insist on privacy for hinself getting dressed etc which is fine., It means I can ask for privacy when I am having a bath etc and he understands it works both ways.

nappyaddict Mon 08-Sep-08 13:54:32

unless he was bothered by the nakedness/weeing in front of him i probably wouldn't ever think of stopping. tampon insertion though .... hmm. that is one where i will probably stop at some point. he's 2 at the moment and haven't stopped yet.

nappyaddict Mon 08-Sep-08 13:54:33

unless he was bothered by the nakedness/weeing in front of him i probably wouldn't ever think of stopping. tampon insertion though .... hmm. that is one where i will probably stop at some point. he's 2 at the moment and haven't stopped yet.

kittywise Mon 08-Sep-08 13:56:52

ds1 is 10 ds2 nearly 9 and I'm happy to be naked/ shower etc and they don't seem to mind. Of course I am not allowed to see them naked hmm

pagwatch Mon 08-Sep-08 13:59:55

rolf at FMV's spacedome.

Ds1 got all shy and private at about 11. He has now suddenly become very casual again and I often walk in to find him in my bath instead of his own. he also walks in on me occasionally which doesn't bother me tbh - although last time was as I was getting out ofthe shower and he shrieked and yelled " my eyes my eyes - oh the humanity" hmm.
Ds2 is SN and endlessly naked - as is DD actually

I think we don't care grin

ginnny Mon 08-Sep-08 13:59:59

Ds1 has started getting a bit giggly and silly now when he sees me, which sets ds2 off too so I tend to shut the door when I'm getting dressed.
Also it doesn't help matters when he comments on all the wobbly bits!!!

TheInvisableManDidIt Mon 08-Sep-08 14:11:01

my ds's have no problem with me seeing them naked.
ds1 8, walked in while i was getting dressed last week, had on jeans and bra, and ran out the room screaming 'I'm blind'
ds2 6 has a very strange habit of taking my bras from the drawer and wearing them on his head...hmm

Wilts Mon 08-Sep-08 14:17:40

My oldest is eleven, he has no problem seeing me in the bath or on the toilet.

He has started closing his door when changing and locks the bathroom door when he is in the bath now.

I respect his need for privacy and will take the hint from him as to when I start covering up my flabby bits if and when it bothers him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now