Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I be put off?

(8 Posts)
Crunchie81 Tue 02-Sep-08 08:07:30

I've been talking to a man off a dating site for a couple of days. My main passion in life is travelling and I noticed he had also put this down as an interest so I asked him where he'd been. He names a few european countries (Spain, Belgium...Scotland!) Then he asked where I was planning to go next. I said we're going to Florida next year so he said "Oh, I wouldn't like to go there...don't like long journeys, 4 hours is max for me lol".

I know he said it in a light hearted way but he did actually mean in as well. This has disapointed me because as I say, my main passion is travel and I think its important that that is something we have in common.

Am I being too picky in letting his put me off?

LoveMyGirls Tue 02-Sep-08 08:15:56

I wouldn't be put off from having a relationship but if in the longer term he expected me to only travel 4 hours and I wanted more and he wasn't willing to compromise then I'd have a problem but it's something you can talk about in more depth and he may change his mind, might only have been a throw away comment.

This is different but when I met dp he said he couldn't go out with me becuase he wasn't ready for the responsibility of a child (he was 19) I said ok and tried to move on once he realised I wouldn't consider him if he didn't want to become a dad he soon changed his tune, he's always been fab with dd1 anyway and I knew he could make a brilliant dad if he let himself and he has and we've now got dd2 so things are not always as they seem.

sugarpear Tue 02-Sep-08 08:18:56

Ask him if he was serious.

If he is then it would certainly put me off.
But thats just me.

It might be a datin site but you can still make plenty of friends along the way.

MrsSnorty Tue 02-Sep-08 10:17:20

Maybe he's just never done it? A friend of mine (who loves traveling) got together with a man who'd never been abroad a couple of years ago. I thought that this might be a problem but they are now jetting off together at every opportunity

Ebb Tue 02-Sep-08 10:30:00

Would be a deal breaker for me I think unless he had some amazing redeeming qualities! One of the reasons my DP fell for me was the fact that I have travelled extensively and we intend to continue exploring the world once DS is old enough to appreciate it! You should ask him whether he was serious though as maybe he's just not confident about going too far from home and needs a bit of encouragement!

piratecat Tue 02-Sep-08 10:32:05

it would put me off i am afraid, no sense of adventure!!

Kally Tue 02-Sep-08 12:23:19

Personally, having travelled around the world a whole lot, I HATE flying now. It bores me terribly and I can't think of anything worse than an 'over 4 - 5 hours flight'... maybe he means it from that point of view?

pamelat Tue 02-Sep-08 13:49:03

Wouldn't put me off

He may not have even attempted to go further and needs his eyes opening ... ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now