Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

am I being overprotective? my partner doesnt seem to understand my feelings...

(4 Posts)
crystalclear70 Mon 01-Sep-08 20:45:15

hello...im trying to stay calm and not be a worrying mum..but then my other half keeps on forgetting about basic things like safety..today we had an appointment, when we got there our son was asleep in the car seat, so he suggested to leave him there whilst we went in, as it would only be for a few minutes..I cant even understand how he could think like that, I could never leave my son alone in a car..plus it wasnt in the greatest of neighbourhoods...afterwards he saw I was upset and said, ah, it was a mistake I was just thinking of him and didnt want to wake him up. A couple of other things have happened like that, and now I just cant relax and am paranoid about leaving him with our son...its stupid I know. today he said ok it was a mistake and refuses to talk any more about it. but its not enough to reassure me..does anyone have any advice..im trying to feel close to my partner but at the moment im just feeling alienated from him and like we are worlds apart..I hate these feelings, I just want to feel close to him and give our son a good enviromnent...

K999 Mon 01-Sep-08 20:48:13

is this your first lo? your feelings are perfectly normal imo.....try not to push your dp away......smile

edam Mon 01-Sep-08 20:49:40

You were right to veto the idea of leaving your baby in a car on his own. Can you sit down with your other half and work out some ground rules? Things that you both agree are a bad idea?

NoMoreOlympics Mon 01-Sep-08 20:56:44

If its any consolation I had to "train" my DH in basic things like this too.

Some blokes just have no idea and look at situations from a purely practical point of view.

Don't give him a hard time, he will clam up and this will be a learning opportunity lost.

As my children are growing up now (safely, so far <,touches wood>) he has got better over the years and we see eye-to-eye about most childcare-related things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now