Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you have laughed at this or hit the roof?

(19 Posts)
EatPie Sat 30-Aug-08 18:32:12

We were in subway today (me, DP and 2 kids) and DS slammed his coke on the table without me noticing. I then went to open it for him and the bottle exploded everywhere, I was litrally showered in coke, my jeans looked like someone had just attacked me with a water pistol for 10 minutes or so.

Anyway I told DS it was a daft thing to do and he was lucky nobody else was sat near us. I then went to wash my hands and when I looked in the mirror at the state of myself I just laughed. It looked so funny.

I went back out to see DP sat there with a face on and the kids looking at me all concerned. DP then said to me "what on earth are you laughing at? have you seen your jeans?" and I just laughed it off and said "I know, I look a right mess. Oh well..." and sat down to eat.

I then heard him mumble "for fucks sake" under his breath. I said "what's up with you now?" and he said I never take anything seriously and the kids get away with murder and I should care more about what people think. He then added "I'm not walking around town with you looking like that".

I've never cared what people think of me. I'll never see them again, why would I care?

So would you have laughed or taken his miserable approach?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:33:30

If you don't laugh, you cry.

hecate Sat 30-Aug-08 18:34:52

I don't know. Probably cleaned myself up and forgotten all about it. Grumpy people just sap all the life out of you, don't they? Very depressing to be around them.

CapricaSix Sat 30-Aug-08 18:35:05

He needs to lighten up!

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 30-Aug-08 18:35:56

Well... I don't allow my children to treat me in a way that I would not allow them to treat others. So I'd have told ds off for this, on the basis that anyone else would have been furious.

I don't think it is a matter of what other people think, but I do think that by laughing off things like this, you are giving mixed messages to your son, telling him it is not acceptable but looking happy about it. He won't know whether it's acceptable or not, and even worse, when others tell him something isn't acceptable, he might just carry on to see if they laugh.

zippitippitoes Sat 30-Aug-08 18:44:50

oh god reminds me of exh

well done you for laughing

Miaou Sat 30-Aug-08 18:58:39

Our rule is tell off, then move on. I might have chuckled afterwards, but probably wouldn't have let on to ds that it had amused me - zero emotion and let go! So yes your dp was silly to make an issue of it after it was over and done with, but iiwy I wouldn't have let on it made me laugh otherwise it might confuse ds as to whether you were cross or not.

Gobbledigook Sat 30-Aug-08 19:01:39

Great to laugh it off but in all honesty I'd have been pissed off if I had to walk around town in stained and wet clothes. Wish I was more laid back, but I'm not!

Gobbledigook Sat 30-Aug-08 19:02:21

And ditto what Miaou said - actually I'd want the children to know that it's not acceptable to do that even if I laughed later in private.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:02:54

Message withdrawn

girlnextdoor Sat 30-Aug-08 20:07:43

Where do you go that has subways with tables in them? Am I being dim or something?

Janni Sat 30-Aug-08 20:14:28

Yes tell DS off but NO don't listen to your DH on this. I think it's great that you're relaxed about how you look. You DH sounds like a 12 year old, worried about how he'll look next to someone with coke spilled on them!

girlnextdoor Sat 30-Aug-08 20:14:50

Sorry- is Subways a shop/place rather than one of those places like a tunnel?

mylovelymonster Sat 30-Aug-08 20:19:25

Does DP have other things on his mind? Is he stressed at work? Sounds like he's a tad overwrought....or just having a sense'o'humour-bypass bad day??

pointydog Sat 30-Aug-08 20:23:39

Much better to laugh. You might as well enjoy life when you can.

SammyK Sat 30-Aug-08 20:25:09

What is worng with subway cod?

OP your DP sounds a bit tense. I would have told off and moved on. Wouldn't hav been bothered about my clothes but someone else may have been and dc chould be aware of that.

sleepyfriends Sat 30-Aug-08 20:33:36

i would have done the same as you......laughed..... but then i would have shook up another bottle of coke & opened it right beside him grin

harpsichordcarrier Sat 30-Aug-08 20:42:59

you should care more about what people think hmmhmmhmm
what a strange attitude
who gives a stuff what other people think?
if you told him off then I don't see a problem. god, life is way too short to get yourself worked up about stuff like that

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 30-Aug-08 21:37:54

Subway is an overblown sandwich shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now