Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The poor woman next door :(

(20 Posts)
MrsSnape Sat 30-Aug-08 11:25:15

I posted on here a few weeks ago about shouting/violence coming from next door. Something to do with woman not eating and man going mental at her over it. In the end the police were called and it all calmed down. Didn't hear much else.

Anyway about a week after I posted that, an ambulance pulled up one day and a paramedic car. The paramedics were in the house for ages and then the woman came wobbling out, held up by a paramedic and got into the ambulance. Her husband came flying out of the house with the baby, he looked like he was crying and got into the car and followed the ambulance.

We've not seen either of them since apart from the womans parents picking up baby toys, clothes, putting the bin out etc.

Anyway today the man told my son to tell me that the woman was in hospital. I took this as an invitation to ask what was happening and when I went out to see him he said the woman is dying in hospital shock he was visibily upset. She hasn't eaten for weeks apparantly and they don't know if she'll ever come out of hospital now sad I'm so sad for them, he explained about the mad day when everyone was shouting and screaming. Today is the little girls birthday sad

Just wanted to update on my last post. Its definately a more complicated story than a straight forward dv case. sad

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 30-Aug-08 11:27:21

Oh Christ that sounds like a nightmare for all involved./ I'm couldn't watch the other parent of my child willfully starve to death sad

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 11:33:00

I remember that! My god, I hope she pulls through, it is possible.

sadandscared Sat 30-Aug-08 11:42:14

I remember the thread.
I can understand the shouting etc now. Obviously I don't condone violence, but my god in that situation you would be so desperate to try any kind of tactic to save her from herself wouldn't you?

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 11:44:41

The poor family, to have to watch a LO do that to themselves and i really do think you would try anything if you had tried and failed to get anywhere before.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Sat 30-Aug-08 11:45:28

MrsSnape, I remember your posts about this. Poor family - the stress the husband must have been under and goodness knows what was going through the wife's mind. So sad.

solidgoldbrass Sat 30-Aug-08 11:47:49

What a shame. It did sound in your original thread as though it was a more complex situation than many DV cases: very sad for all concerned.

3andnomore Sat 30-Aug-08 11:51:50

Oh, that is really sad sad
must be horrific for those involved sad

NothingSweetAboutMe Sat 30-Aug-08 11:51:58

I remember the original thread too. How awful.

So tragic.

Kimi Sat 30-Aug-08 12:00:02

sad

MrsSnape Sat 30-Aug-08 12:04:13

She's only in her 20s sad

I told her husband I would pop around in a couple of days to see how things are. I told him I didn't want to appear as the nosey neighbour which is why I've kept my distace so far but he was really nice about it. In his country people are still very much involved with their neighbours lives so I think he appreciates it more than maybe a British man would.

She's such a lovely, sweet woman too.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 30-Aug-08 12:11:00

i dont think she is willingly starving herself to death. anorexia is a very serious mental health disorder. and its not usually to do with weight or even food but is a symptom of something else being out of control. the starving is used as a way of punishing yourself or gaining control over you life. its a terrible disease. my sympathys are with the woman and her family sad

a family friend battled anorexia for many years. her mother was told she was close to death many times but she eventually beat it and though she is still at risk of replapse has been well for five years so there may still be hope for this woman if she gets the help and support that she needs. have you tried putting him <the dh> in touch with any anorexia support groups or anything?

Alambil Sat 30-Aug-08 12:18:56

Anorexia is awful; my cousin struggles with it

She got down to 6st I think at her lowest, and she was given a lot of support and help - she's now a healthy size 8/10 and although she still struggles, she knows how to cope.

If this lady isn't too far down the road, they can pull her back with the right support... hope it works for her

MrsSnape Sat 30-Aug-08 12:27:34

apparantly she also has type 1 diabetes which complicates things further he said?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 30-Aug-08 12:30:48

i suppose he will probably be referring to giving her iv fluids <as they are sugary> and the build up drinks they are given as they are also sugary. plus if she is refusing to take her insulin becuase it may cause weight gain she could have some very serious side effects e.g blindness, paralysis and other things even death in worse case senarios. i hope this woman gets the help that she needs before it is too late

Alambil Sat 30-Aug-08 12:33:38

Well I guess so because you need regular food to keep insulin levels at a constant - so if she's not eating, her chances of illnesses and other problems are heightened

MrsSnape Sat 30-Aug-08 12:47:20

He did mention blindness actually. He'd offered to pay for her driving lessons, the test and buy her a brand new car but she refused insisting that she will be blind by the time she's 30 sad

Alambil Sat 30-Aug-08 12:52:15

Poor woman hope she pulls through

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 01:30:17

Aww. Diabetis aswell as Anorexia...bad combination, I suppose, for many reason...one is, that a diabetic has to keep to a regular eating plan....in order to manage diabetis...
so, as an Anorexic you are more likely to go into a Hypo-glycaemic Coma.....

also, Anorexia in the later stage often brings skin sores with them, and for a diabetic those can be even easilier lethal, because diabetics suffer with bad woundhealing, especially if the Diabetis is not controlled (which in an norexic person would be a given )

Diabetis on it's own is difficult enough, but if well managed nowadays it does not mean loss of limbs or eyesight....

OH, I do hope that she will get through this and possibly wins the fight over anorexia....

Sorry, my post is rather a voice of doom....I suppose...
What a terrible situation for them.

nappyaddict Sun 31-Aug-08 02:47:13

hopefully the hospital will get her eating again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now