Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you find this wierd?

(42 Posts)
passporttofreedom Fri 29-Aug-08 23:39:06

I've been seeing someone for about 3 months. I'm on guard all the time as my last partner turned out to be a bit of a nut so it could be that I'm just being paranoid.

But he was due to come around tonight as the kids were at their dads and he said he'd bring a "brilliant" dvd to watch that I'd find "hilarious".

So I got a few drinks in, we ordered a takeaway and this dvd was called happy tree friends. I said I'd never heard of it and he said "oh, you'll love it, I've brought 3 of them hmm

Anyway he put it on and this is what it was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MQ7Vvah5KY

I saw through 30 seconds of it before asking if he was taking the piss but he was litrally creased up laughing, tears in eyes and everything. He kept it on for a good half hour (pissing himself laughing throughout) before realising that I wasn't going to "warm to it" and reluctantly turning it off.

The whole thing just annoyed me tbh. For one thing it was a rare night together (due to kids etc), for another thing it was just ridiculous and lastly, he must have known I wouldn't have liked that.

I suppose I'm going to come across like a spoilt brat but he just came across like an immature twat tonight and I can't be arsed with that a 2nd time.

Am I over-reacing? (it wasn't just the dvd, it was the OTT laughing, the big deal he made about it as if it was the latest blockbuster etc)

Miaou Fri 29-Aug-08 23:42:23

I think a shared sense of humour is really important in a relationship. It's a bit like writing in the rock - it's an essential part of who you are. I would say this is not a good sign - sorry!

Miaou Fri 29-Aug-08 23:43:17

Um, I mean, like blackpool rock, you know, not rocks at the seaside ...

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 23:48:55

not funny

can see why that would totally put you off him, in a way.

but your trust issues are huge, and can undersatnd that too.

how did the evening end?

MadameOvary Fri 29-Aug-08 23:49:17

OMG my ex loved these and I loathed them. Cant stand violent cartoons like this.
You arent over-reacting, you are noticing the big "Exit" sign that has begun flashing over his head.
If he also does drugs and you dont, and likes to be spanked (and you dont) tell him to close the door on his way out. This cannot end well. Sorry for digression, just so glad am not in that relationship and keen to save you from possible same fate!

passporttofreedom Fri 29-Aug-08 23:55:12

The night was a wash out really. After gorging himself on a takeaway (burping and gulping throughout) he turned that shite dvd on, made me sit through half an hour of it whilst pissing himself laughing and poking me every 5 minutes to say "watch this bit" hmm and then he begrudingly turned it off whilst making out that I was miserable and moody. He then spent 20 minutes on the bog nefore coming back in complaining of stomach ache and he then sat down and started flicking through men and motors (my tv, doesn't bother to ask) and when he see's my obvious boredom he again begrudgingly turns it off saying "for gods sake" as if I was being unreasonable and then 5 minutes later says...

"can we play?" angry (to us grown ups, this means can we have sex).

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 23:56:11

and...

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 23:56:56

you don't fancy him do you? he's too immature and makes you think what is the hell point of this, i can do better?

3littlefrogs Fri 29-Aug-08 23:57:41

What on earth do you see in him? [genuinely mystified emoticon]

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 29-Aug-08 23:59:48

sounds like someone I used to see - his name isn't darren is it!!

honestly - don't bother, plenty more fishies in the sea.

is rude, obnoxious - does he have many redeeming qualities?

beanieb Sat 30-Aug-08 00:03:26

Ths is funny. Perhaps you are not suited. Did you not 'get' it?

Igotwheels Sat 30-Aug-08 00:03:28

Sorry you had such a bad evening, he does sound a bit immature. The cartoon is really strange. Maybe try going out somewhere with him, but the signs don't seem promising.

beanieb Sat 30-Aug-08 00:06:38

Hey - Igotwheels smile

There's a satire and sub-text to the cartoons though, god does that sound wanky! grin

just not your sense of humou and if you can't click over that then probably he feels the same and you're better off out of itsmile

NumberFour Sat 30-Aug-08 00:12:47

beanieb, can you tell me a bit more about the satire and sub-text in the cartoons? The whole this is lost on me......

PTF: it does not sound like he is your cup of tea at all.

Miaou Sat 30-Aug-08 00:17:17

He sounds incredibly immature tbh. The dvd aside, the lack of courtesy is not good.

thumbwitch Sat 30-Aug-08 00:20:42

didn't like that at all.

But I am asking myself if it is any worse than, say, South Park, or these - the difference being that I do find these funny.

However, the real point here is not that you don't find them funny but that your bloke is inconsiderate of your feelings and is already treating your tv like his own.

Are you really that keen on him? Cos he's only going to get worse...

beanieb Sat 30-Aug-08 00:22:47

It's an adult take on the violent cartoons kids have watched for years. Tom and Jerry anyone?

ok - maybe it's not your taste in humour but it's not [i]just[/i] a cartoon.

did you think it was? were you offended by the violence?

beanieb Sat 30-Aug-08 00:23:48

Absolutely thumbwitch.

anyone seen the simpsons and the Itchy and scratchy cartoon?

thumbwitch Sat 30-Aug-08 00:25:05

more like itchy and scratchy than T&J - don't remember any blood and gore and dead babies on T&J...hmm

expatinscotland Sat 30-Aug-08 00:27:50

leave.skidmarks.

StayFrosty Sat 30-Aug-08 00:31:42

He showed you something you clearly didn't find funny, went for an epic shit, got a face on with you and then tried it on?

He sounds like a bellend.

solidgoldbrass Sat 30-Aug-08 00:34:55

Happy Tree Friends isn't eveyrone's taste (though I quite like it, partly because it's great for pissing off bleaters with) - but that isn't really the issue. He sounds like a right cocklodger ie he wants to make himself at home in your house, get his feet under the table and expect you to cook, clean, pick up after him and suck his cock out of sheer gratitude at having A Man Around.
You're not that desperate.... are you?

PortAndLemon Sat 30-Aug-08 00:36:10

Leaving aside the whole question of whether they are funny or not, if you don't have a shared sense of humour then I think the relationship is very unlikely to work out long-term. And if he's already irritating you then I think it's unlikely to work out short-term. Move on and both of you can find better-suited partners.

expatinscotland Sat 30-Aug-08 00:39:36

Where do people meet such utter dicksmacks?

StayFrosty Sat 30-Aug-08 01:12:06

....although returning to this, on second thoughts maybe I was harsh saying 'bellend' tbh. Perhaps he felt a bit embarrassed when you didn't laugh at his dvd, and then this embarrassment was compounded when he had a big poo in your toilet. Even nice blokes aren't mind readers, and maybe he didn't realise you what your expectations were for the evening?

But you are reacting for a reason; are things moving a bit fast for you with this bloke? Does he seem like he wants to get his feet under the table? You sound like you are going off him...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now