Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Being threatened by ex for money

(10 Posts)
simcitygirl Tue 26-Aug-08 15:57:53

This is a long, complicated story so I'll try and cut it down.

Earlir this year me and ex decided to go on holiday. He told me to book it. I did and he then said he didn't want to go angry this left me with a deposit to pay of over £800 whether it got cancelled or not. I was livid. In the end, he begrudgingly agreed to pay half of the deposit so he paid £350 and I said I would cancel it.

After he paid it I changed my mind and decided I would scrape the rest of the money together and go without him. He then kicked off saying I had conned him into paying part of my holiday. We then broke up and I said I would give him the money back when I had it which wouldn't be anytime soon as I still need to find another £2k on my own to pay the bloody thing off.

Anyway he shut up about it for ages and then last night I deleted him off my msn list as I no longer wish to speak to him (although he still has my mobile number) and he sent me a text this morning saying as I had delibrately tried to break contact, he wanted the £350 within 7 days hmm as if. I told him there was no way that was going to happen and so he said he wanted the money back by the end of september at the latest otherwise he would think about taking it to small claims hmm I know for a fact this is just his way of trying to bully me into keeping in contact with him.

Does he have anything on me? He paid the deposit (like he agreed to remember) by credit card in April direct to the travel agents. Could he actually force me to pay this back? I just don't have it and I simply will not be bullied into staying in contact with someone like this. Its him all over, "you WILL do as I say or else..."

So honestly, what can he actually do?

beanieb Tue 26-Aug-08 16:00:35

He could take you to the small claims court. Does he have any evidence that you agreed you would pay him back?

Seeing as you have said you'll pay the money back I think it's wrong for you to want to get out of paying all together if that's what you are trying to do.

could you contact him and arrange some kind of regular repayments?

simcitygirl Tue 26-Aug-08 16:02:39

No I will pay him, just it won't be anytime soon and I told him that in the first place.

There is no evidence that I said I would pay him back and the holiday originally did have his name on it so its obvious that he was supposed to be going on it too....

What's annoying me more is the fact that he thinks he can just demand it all of a sudden simply to get his own way. (i.e. if I demand the money, she'll start being nice to me again) bastard.

abouteve Tue 26-Aug-08 16:08:37

TBH, if you owe him the money I would set up a direct debit to pay him off in instalments. Then he cannot demand that you repay him in 7 days, you avoid costs being awarded against you and you won't need to have anymore contact with him.

solidgoldbrass Tue 26-Aug-08 16:08:44

How much can you afford to repay per week? If you work that out, then send him a letter (by registered post) saying you will pay him in weekly installments (via paypal or something), stick to the arrangment and ignore any other contact attempts he makes. If he is harassing you for the money merely to bully you then that will get him off your back (and if he does keep on harassing you, if you have made a reasonable offer to pay then if he does take you to court, the court will think he's being a dick and find in your favour.

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 26-Aug-08 16:17:49

Message withdrawn

2beornot2be Tue 26-Aug-08 16:21:51

Agree to make instalments even if its £5 a week make sure u get this in writing and if he disagree's then small claims will throw it out. Your best bet is to email him with the details as the chances are he will reply to the email and you have it in written form.

JessJess3908 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:46:56

I'm with NotDoing and actually think he owes you £50 for the rest of the deposit that he asked you to pay and then defaulted on.

Haven't a clue where you stand legally tho - sorry.

lilacclaire Wed 27-Aug-08 11:43:37

If his name is on the holiday and he chooses not to go then that's his bad luck. You do not owe him anything.

starzzz Wed 27-Aug-08 15:29:02

If it was me, i would tell him that as it was his idea to book the holiday, then he cancelled, he should pay half the non refundable deposit, it should make no difference whether you are going on the holiday or not. Tell him he still owes you £50, and that you are going to take him to court if he keeps bullying you, then change your phone number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now